• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Which Type of Surgery Did You Have?

Which Type of Surgery Did You Have

• Adjustable Gastric Band (Lap-Band, etc..)

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass

Votes: 60 60.0%
  • Sleeve Gastrectomy

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • Biliopancreatic Diversion w Duodenal Switch

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Gastric Plication

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kevin

Staff member
Just another member survey. If you've had WLS, select which type you had. Let us know if there is another type of surgery we don't have listed.

If you respond to an old post, you probably won't get a response. The member you're asking hasn't been here since 2017. I've been here for 18 months and everyone I met at the beginning is gone now.

But you can start a new thread with your topic. It's a complicated question, but in brief, the surgery prevented me from overeating by reducing my stomach from a bota bag to a pouch the size of a chicken egg. Too much food led to pain and vomiting, among other things.

Coupled with my mad desire to wear fashionable clothes I'd had hanging in my closet from my skinny days, my weight loss was rapid, sliding down 75 pounds in the first 3 months.

I also wanted to hike beautiful mountains and camp in the North Cascades, which meant burning calories, eating only what I could carry in my backpack and going to the gym to stay in condition. I don't think I would have done so well if I hadn't had a physical goal that was so strong.

My pouch is still very small, able to hold only about a half-cup. I've kept my healthy eating habits and am still very active, with the same passion for the outdoors, and because of that, I'm no longer obsessed with food.

It's harder to maintain my weight during these dark days, so I need this support group more than ever. Newbies and old-timers offer the same inspiration to a person fighting multiple eating and self-esteem issues. I'm so grateful you all are here.

I never want to go back. That's how I've maintained my weight loss.

Back