• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

WHO ARE YOU? There in the Mirror.

It's good to know i'm not the only one dealing with this. I just want to make sure that I stay me mentally and emotionally. I have known some people who have major personality changes. What can I do to prevent that from happening? Thanks!

Rosie-Easy question to answer. JUST REMEMBER WHERE YOU CAME FROM.

My mother-in-law would say this to one of her children who was in college earning her doctrate. Depending on the circumstances she would say it more or less frequently. It seemed to have worked :)

TomBoyBlues, I still look in the mirror and think I look fat, I don' know why? It seems silly, I have lost 120 lbs since surgey and haven't been this weight for 20 years or more. I still have trouble picking out cloths, I try something on it's too big so I try something else, going from a 46 inch waist to 36 still seem weird and a 3xl to a large shirt, I still have a tendancy to grab an xl shirt try it on then remember I need a large, those are even starting to feel a little loose. Even my feet shrunk, didn't think that was possable. You are doing great, your an inspiration. :cool: Tom

Thanks for the help on this issue. I find it automatic to go to the plus sizes, even though i am shrinking out of them. And the advice to remember where I came from....I will take that to heart. So glad I found this site. It's great to have folks understand what you are going through.:D

I know! Sometimes I look at myself and cannot believe it's me! What a transformation from where we were. I don't know about you, but when I was at my worst, I took down most of the mirrors I had in my home and would never look in a mirror for the horror I felt when I seen how large I had become. Now that I'm just about where I want to be, I love to look at myself and in feel proud and happy that I have achieved the results I desired for so many years. It's such a blessing and with the hard work and determination, I feel on top of the world!

It's my first year and achieved a maximum amount of weight loss. I didn't feel the need for help until my one year anniversary. Many emotions came into play such as who am I now? I look different and my mind didn't catch up to my body yet. I had "disconnect" issues with myself. I still had old thoughts in my new body, and wanted to be in "sync" with my mind, body, and spirit. I knew at this point it was essential and necessary to seek out professional help. I needed answers to my questions, and also validation that I'm okay and it's normal of how I'm feeling. It's a transition period for me, and with assistance, I believe everything will fall into place. In the past, prior to surgery, when I was obese and became thin, I used to sabotage my efforts and gained all my weight back and more. Now that I had my body changed internally, this time I have to make it right once and for all.

Congratulations on your 1st anniversary! I'm still trying to realize that thinner person in the mirror is me. Had an epiphany the other day. Went shopping with my best friend who has never been above a size 12. As we were walking by a store window, I looked at our reflection. In that moment I saw that I was almost as small as my dear friend. Since I have been stuck on a plateau for the past few weeks, this was a real eye-opener. Thanks to you all for the support and understanding. It;s comforting to know I am not alone!

Thanks Rosie, and to you as well! It looks like you're transforming into the person you want to become, and it's very exciting! I too walk by windows and look at myself and say wow, that's me! I missed her for so long and she's back better than ever! Many of my acquaintences and friends have weight issues. I used to be the largest one in the group, and now I'm the smallest. They can't always accept this change in me, but I know on some level that I've inspired them to try to improve their overall health as well. A few people had given me their hand me downs as I was losing weight at a rapid rate, and now I'm giving them my hand me downs since I'm on my third wardrobe. It's expensive, but all worth it in the end. Stay well, Linney

Back