• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Who else has sleep apnea???

Your weight is the main qualification. Are you 100 lb overweight? Then if you have sleep apnea too yes that diagnosis should help your insurance company approve you. I had sleep apnea and was on a machine to sleep. After my gastric bypass surgery and significant weight loss my sleep apnea disappeared. I also have had many other health benifits. Life is really great!

Cheyenne :cool:

Thank you for you response. Yes, I am 106 pound over my recommended weight. I have medicaid and I know they're pretty strict about having comorbities in order to qualify. I'm hoping that my bmi alone would be enough but I guess I'll just have to wait an see what they say. I'm going crazy in the meantime.

I'm happy to hear your health has improved and congrats on the weight loss!! I really want to do this for my health as well. I know it would be the best thing I could do for myself.

Hi Brandi, Yes I have sleep apnea. That did help me qualify easier. I had to go see the pulmonary doctor who is excellent and the heart doctor. It did not take me long to be approved. I have been on a cpap for over a year now. :)

I too had sleep apnea. Now it is gone. But it is a qualifier for the surgery.

Also, if you have multiple health maladies, which most of us do as a result of our weight (heart disease, high blood pressure, spleep apnea, 100 pounds overweight, diabetes, etc.) you will make it easier to qualify.

Most people are NOT aware of potential heart disease. Today, all you need to do is have a cardiac catscan to see what condition your heart arteries are in. I had a baseline scan back in my mid to late 60s. I found out I had 50% blockage in my LAD and 40% blockage in my other heart arteries. Thankfully, all the measures I have taken have stabilized my heart condition. It is in better shape than ever and the potential is there for my arteries to clear up now.

Ralph

Thank you all for you responses. As it turns out I do have sleep apnea. I had my sleep study done on August 19. I go in on the 10th of this month to find out the details. I'm in the process of getting those results transfered to my primary doctor so she can send it to my insurance. I have my fingers crossed hoping they approve me for this surgery. At this point I don't have any other comorbities so I hope my sleep apnea and bmi alone will be enough. I'll update you guys on what I find out. Take care every one!

I suffer from OSA, diagnosed almost 15 years ago and have been living with a CPAP ever since. Unfortunately for me, my comorbidities (Type II Diabetes, Hypertension, >100 lbs overweight, kidney disease, fatty liver) did not help my qualification for insurance. I'm paying the bulk of my surgical costs on my own, although my insurance will cover part because I'm also having my gall bladder removed.

I'm hoping to follow in the footsteps of many here who have put their CPAP away and can nap watching TV without shaking the walls with snoring.

I suffer from OSA, diagnosed almost 15 years ago and have been living with a CPAP ever since. Unfortunately for me, my comorbidities (Type II Diabetes, Hypertension, >100 lbs overweight, kidney disease, fatty liver) did not help my qualification for insurance. I'm paying the bulk of my surgical costs on my own, although my insurance will cover part because I'm also having my gall bladder removed.

I'm hoping to follow in the footsteps of many here who have put their CPAP away and can nap watching TV without shaking the walls with snoring.

This does not make sense to me at all.

Are you telling me you are 100 pounds overweight, a diabetic, high blood pressure and more and you DO NOT QUALIFY for gastric bypass?

What kind of miserable insurance do you have?

Also, your surgeon's team has also said there is nothing you can do?

If so, then I would suggest holding off until you have an opportunity to change insurance carriers and find one that does cover you. I have never heard of something so rediculous!

Ralph

Your weight is the main qualification. Are you 100 lb overweight? Then if you have sleep apnea too yes that diagnosis should help your insurance company approve you. I had sleep apnea and was on a machine to sleep. After my gastric bypass surgery and significant weight loss my sleep apnea disappeared. I also have had many other health benifits. Life is really great!

Cheyenne :cool:
Hello Cheyenne, I have sleep apnea and all you need to do is be using a Cpap machine to qualify.

I also have OSA and have been using a cpap for a year now. I also have high blood pressure and roughly 200 pounds over my ideal weight. But since I have Illinois Medicaid I'm nervous they will say no to surgery.

I have sleep apnea I have had it for had it for 20 years and I have chronic knee pain and they need replacement this also qualified me with my insurance company and I am at least 250 pounds over weight.

Extremely mild sleep apnea is my only medical issue and it was enough to qualify for insurance to cover. I didn't even think I had it, but did the sleep study anyways. Saved me $9000!

Thank you for you response. Yes, I am 106 pound over my recommended weight. I have medicaid and I know they're pretty strict about having comorbities in order to qualify. I'm hoping that my bmi alone would be enough but I guess I'll just have to wait an see what they say. I'm going crazy in the meantime.
Your comorbities help you qualify for surgery with Medicare and most insurance companies.

Back