• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

why can't we take

I'm just guessing here. It would take a LOT of pills to get enough protein. This sounds like a question to ask your nutritionist.

Why can't we take whey protein pills?

Excellent question!

I've been supplementing with ready-to-drink protein drinks, and protein powders, for so long, I just never thought about it. There are pills and chewables both.

It would be no more expensive than some of the so-called premium whey protein isolate powders or ready-to-drink protein supplements; less expensive than some. One of the chewables I looked at, you'd need 10 per day to make your 60 gram daily minimum, if this were your only protein source. So, you could take 3 with each meal plus 1 with a snack, or 3 with two meals and 4 with the third, or however else you would prefer to divide it up. This particular brand has 120 tablets per bottle, so you'd go through about 2-1/2 bottles per month.

Of course, you wouldn't learn anything about eating/drinking habits. Best to check with your nutritionist, but I don't see why not. And, if the nutritiionist says "no," get a definitive answer as to "why not?"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=protein+pill
http://www.dietdirect.com/proteinex-chewable-protein-tablets.html

The one I was looking at was 1 capsule= 14 gm protein. I've have been learning All about what to eat for protein. I've got that down pat. So, one would still learn about to eat or drink for a couple years to my understanding. The protein shakes,powders are supposed to be an Extra if you can't get it all in. The pill wouldn't be my diet. Thanks for your input though.

Bama-So I have to assume someone from your surgical team told you not to take this protein pill. Since all protein is not created equal perhaps that is why pill form isn't recommended. According to the nutritional guidelines I was given some proteins are absorbed better than others. You should avoid sources of protein that are labeled "hydrolyzed collagen" or "hydrolyzed whey protein". Some of these prodicts promise a very large amount of protein in a very small portion, but they should still be avoided since they do not have the best quality protein. So check the label to see what the protein source is on those pills.

Pat, they never spoke of liquid, power, or pills. I was thinking you get protein from cottage cheese, which is different than the tuna and sardines, and fish. I don't want it for my meals just to make up for that 15-20 gram, that I lack most days. i just thought maybe someone on here might know, before I contact my nutri. thanks. You all are so helpful, and sweet.

hi bamababy,
my nutritionist showed me why. the pills were about 1 inch in diameter. and i would have had to take about 9 a day to get what i get from
drinks. i am telling you that i have not had one protein drink that i have not liked. the chocolate is absolutely wonderful. if you want the name
of the manufacturer here it is. R-KANE. google it. sometimes i just get tired of jumping through the hoops and take a day off. i am never really hungry anyway. i carry an alarm with me set for every 8-10 minutes to drink otherwise i would never get all of my protein or fluids in. so far everything has been worth the effort of surgery.what a great thing i did. good luck to you

Hey bamababy!

You may be able to take them later in your journey. I was told no capsules. I can't remember how long until I can take them again. I suppose you can put it in apple sauce if that works for you. I heard they make protein shots. Haven't looked into it but I think I may just look into both. It would make life easier on those days when I forget to eat!

Well I am a doofus. I thought the protein shots had a needle, like a b-12shot. It's a liquid shot! So forget that idea! I tried to find protein pills and I didn't understand them. If I found them, they had vitamins, amino acids, and didnt say what type of protein or how much. I am interested in taking them for the days I fall short on my protein. I think you have a good idea here, bamababy.

Any follow up on this? Just curious? I have not found a protein powder or shake that does not make me nausus(sp?).

http://www.sunkistprotein.com/index.html this is a shot....my doc also told me no capsules....i guess i have not seen the chew able ones....anyway....this shot you can take alone, not with a meal.....the site also has a great Q and A.......I like that I can just set the large one in my fridge and do it....i have not had my surgery yet, but I am gonna be ready for it.....haha....My doc said shots would be fine, but try to do the shakes or fish when i can.....again i have no idea about the future but i am hoping that i can do any of it.....

I know how you feel StacyBlue! I finally found a few that have worked for me. I used to think light Muscle Milk (can get it at Wal-Mart) was good, but now I find it too sweet. It might be something to try if you haven't. I prefer Unjury Chocolate Spendor or the Chicken Soup one. I didn't like any of the others I tried. The chicken soup one is pretty tasty as a warm drink. It's actually got some spices in it which I think makes it taste better. I did order the Unjury first in the packets to try the flavors before spending money on a canister. I thought this was helpful. You can get them on unjury.com. I also went to Max Muscle which is a nutrition store around this area and got protein in their store brand that is Raspberry truffle. It's nice for a change of pace. I also mix with skim milk and not water. I found that makes the other drinks taste better. Life will be better once you get to softened foods and can have things light eggs, tuna, light string cheese, light cottage cheese, etc. All these things helped so I didn't have to drink as much of the supplements!

As for the original post, I like the idea of a protein pill. Mind you...I take 10 pills in the morning and 5 at night as it is with all the vitamins, supplements, etc. If allowed, I'd probably find a way to take it! I am taking Omega 3,6,9 and that pill could choke a horse, so if I can swallow that twice a day I can take anything!! :D

Probably most of us get a bit sick with the protein drinks, Stacy. I have no answer for you. I have gone to just mixing mine with water. Sometimes a bit of vanilla extract to help the flavor. I think the proper response is that you are going to get sick to your pouch...nothing can be done. Drink slow and try whatever mixture is best for you.

Back