• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why did I do this?

I am 5 days post op and I wish I never did this. I am so miserable and uncomfortable it is unreal. I want to rewind and just say no to this. I want to be home with my kids playing with them and enjoying life, instead I'm sitting in a hospital bed suffering. I hate everything right now. Why did I do this?!

Hello-jamie Sue, I think we all go through this at one time or another, you will be able to enjoy life , but right now you need to heal, within the next three weeks you will see why you did this, you will lose weight and begin to feel a new you, you will get energy and the pain will be gone, think of your self a year from now doing things with your kids you never thought you would ever do, at that time you will have a smile on your face and know why you did this, have faith you can do this...

Jamie-Sue, I wish there was something I could say to comfort you. I know you're down and in pain. Remember the reasons you went in for this to begin with and I hope it will sustain you until you are feeling well again. Prayers and hugs being sent your way.

You can do this. I promise you, it will get better and you will be amazed how quick you feel better, look better, and will happier than you can imagine I'm sorry things are so rough for you. Did you have complications? I was home quickly but dealt only with the emotional part of not having the food I wanted. I had no pain, or discomfort. The emotional part was bad for me. I am losing weight at a very fast rate, and all that seems so long ago. I am 8 weeks post op and feel great. You will too. Hang in there, and your progress will be atonishing to you and all those around you. It will get better, I promise!!!

Jamie sue30 i am about to have my surgery, on Thursday,u will do well and ur kid's will love it as well cause they have mom back please keep them in the front of ur mind and that will get u throught.

I felt this the first week. I am now 5 months post op and it is the best thing I ever did. I now can enjoy my grandchildren. I have been able to do things with them that I had not done in a long time. Sending healing vibes your way.

Jamie-Sue,

This part of your journey will pass and you will start to feel better before long. I know it doesn't seem like it right now. Prayers for a speedy recovery and getting to feel better. Keep us posted. We all care.

Joy

Hey,
We had our surgeries on the same day. I remember thinking the same thing. But I held on to what I read hear and what I saw online (YouTube has great videos of people sharing their experiences with these surgeries) and told myself "It will get better" over and over again. Now 6 days out, it is a little better...a little... Talk yourself up. Rely on the experience of people who went before us and know that we too will one day be thanking ourselves that we did this. Here's hoping you are already feeling a little better now.
K

Thank you everyone! I feel a lot better this morning. My doctor put a PICC line in but I feel like it was a little too quick to do so. She wants me to do TPN everynight. I haven't been able to tolerating my carnation instant breakfast shakes but this morning I drank a whole one and I have had a whole 8oz bottle of water! I will have my second shake of the day at about 1pm. I got up got my picc line, took a shower, my kids came in, and I have been walking the halls. I am craving food right now, is that abnormal? I expected to not want any food. Thanks for all of the support! 6 days out now and I can only imagine everyday will get better and better.

Jamie

Jamie,

Just think how helpful you will be to others with the same feelings. You have been there and know what they are experiencing. I am so glad you are doing better!

Joy

Jamie-Sue,

I am so happy to hear you're doing better. I hope this time next year, your memories of the difficult part of your recovery will be dim and much less important than the rest of your journey.

Based upon what others have said, are you truly hungry? Or are you craving food? Many of us have to learn the difference between stomach hunger and head hunger. I have never been plagued by the ever-present, all-encompassing stomach hunger so many speak of, for which I'm thankful. Head hunger, unfortunately, is another story altogether; I know it all too well.

I'm with you. It seems a bit early for a PICC. Guess your doc is just very cautious, not necessarily a bad thing. Sounds like she wants you to succeed and doesn't want to chance you getting into nutritional trouble.

Congratulations on your wls and your improving recovery!

I'm not hungry at all, it is just head hunger. I see certain foods and almost feel bummed out because I won't be able to eat them again. Like, what did I do to myself? I know that I made the right choice though, you know?

I got the PICC line but I am going to refuse the TPN, I just don't need it. I have been drinking my shakes and fluids fine today. I will get through this.

Jamie-If your doctor told you that you need TPN then there must be a reason. If you do not get sufficient calories you could end up in a starvation mode and stop losing weight. Or you could end up losing organ and muscle tissue and become seriously ill from that. Apparently your doctor thinks you are lsoing weight too quickly. Taking TPN will not cause you to gain weight but will provide you with the nutrition that you so badly need right now so what are you concerned about?

I had mine on 10/11/12 and I am right there with you. Not in the hospital but miserable. I hope you are doing better. I know when it is all over all this misery will be worth it and that is all I keep telling myself.

JamieSue where did you have your surgery done, what hospital and state? Glad to hear you are doing better. This kind of stuff is scary but we have to get through it, being nauseated is like a punishment to me, I HATE IT. Right now, pre op, I have a wave of nausea about once a day that only lasts a minute or two and I hate it so being nauseated for days, weeks is very scary to me. I am in the stage of what in hell am I doing? why not just do the protein drinks and lose weight? I am not sure I have the self control I guess. IT is a MAJOR thing to do for weight loss but lots are doing it and being successful and I guess if it was so easy then it would not stick, sort of quitting smoking, REALLY hard and you do not want to do it again so you do not smoke.
Keep us up on your progress, are you still in the hospital or out?

Jamie-So happy to hear you are feeling better :) I didn't crave food for a few weeks but my appetite came back a little after week 5 and continuded to do so as time passed. When you say you are craving food is it because you actually feel hungry or do you just miss eating (head hunger)? Once you get home and have free reign over what you can put in your mouth you will see that you will not be able to eat / drink much at all. Just remember to follow the meal plan phases so that you will heal better and faster and not become dehydrated.

Hi, I had my surgery the day after you. sounds like ur having a hard time. I have not had trouble keeping things down. i do have trouble getting in more than 35oz of fluid. the last couple of days have alternated between feeling a little better and feeling a little worse. at least most of the gas discomfort is gone. I, too, crave food. I just want to bite into a sandwich or at least some crackers. I am hungry and i didnt think i would be, its very discouraging.

I am just three days out of my surgery...and I had my doubts too. Normal, I think.....we choose to put ourselves through this....but we have to remember why (as so many mentioned above)- to improve our way of life. I have two kids and it is killing me to not be playing with them right now...that hurts more than the gas traveling throuh my body, more than not eating....so keep your eye on the prize.

On another note, my post obs diet requires liquids (clear) only for 3 weeks- I can see this getting boring....any creative suggestions on what to try right out of surgery?

Just caught up on my post reading today....I hope you are feeling much better Jamie. Keep in mind that what your Doctors/Nuts tell you is for a reason. Make sure you get in your protein and liquids...I know somedays this is or sounds impossible, but making sure you get the nutrition and liquids you need will make a big difference in how you are healing and feeling and with any complications. I am 3 months post op...some days, life happens and you just can't drink all the liquid or a little less protein but you can feel the difference. You can do it...stay confident, you will slowly notice the difference in your stamina and the fact that you can do things you never could before, or with more ease. Make sure you walk...walk walk! Also helps with your healing, weight loss and overall feelings. Good Luck and hang in there!

Julie

Back