• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why did I do this?

Jennifer-I like a challenge just like the next person but being creative with a clear liquid diet is, well, almost impossible *LOL* I can offer suggestions but you may have already thought of some of these things.

Decaf coffee: Hot and iced, same with tea. Make yourself sugar free chai by adding "sweet" type spices like cinnamon, cloves, ginger, cardamom, etc. Steep them in hot water along with the tea and strain them out with a coffee filter. It's good hot and cold :)

Jell-O (sugar free): Lot's of flavors available. Try drinking it while it's still warm, it's very soothing this way.

Broths : Low sodium packaged or use bouillon cubes. Make yourself a nice veggie broth with any or all of the following-onions, carrots, celery, parsley, cabbage, yellow and zucchini squash, bell peppers, tomatoes. Simmer and strain through colander then a coffee filter before sipping. Make a big batch and freeze in ice cube trays and take out just enough for one serving at a time.

Crystal Light or sugar free Hawaiian Punch brand beverage powder. The Hawaiian Punch brand is the more reasonably priced, and in my opinion, the better tasting of the two. Both have a large variety of flavors. Just be careful of the teas to make sure you get the decaf :)

Hot lemonade or limeade made with fresh lemons or limes and your favorite sweetener.
Hot ginger beverage: Buy some fresh ginger and steep with hot water (I crush mine with a garlic press). Strain and add your favorite sweetener. It's absolutely delicious, soothing and addictive!!!

Fruit juices if you’re allowed to have sugar. Apple juice is good hot or cold.

Sugar free Popsicles.

Pat99 YOU are always so helpful, gREAT ideas for clear fluid part of the diet!!! It seems some sail through the surgery with few problems and then some with severe problems but those people seem to get better by the 4th or 5th day and then there are a very few who really have problems but for the most part most people do very well. What we all need to keep our eye on is after a while, years, we should not go back to bad foods and habits, BECAUSE, we surely do not want to go through all this again! I have not had my surgery yet, but can tell you, with what you all have gone through before me, I will not want to do it more than once!

Sandie-You are absolutely right about having to be careful to not go back to our old eating habits. Some of the WLS patients make it look easy to lose weight (NOT ME). Some people, usually friends, co-workers or relatives, of those of us who have had or are going to have WLS think it's a walk in the park to lose weight after surgery. HAH!!! This couldn't be further from the truth. WLS is not a magic bullet and it takes hard work and dedication to lose the weight and keep it off. And I won't even get into how I feel about people who actually become jealous or resentful once our weight loss becomes apparent. I have a neighbor who won't talk to me anymore *LOL* Sometimes I want to ask her if she wants to get rid of some of the clothes that have become too tight on her *LOL* (bad Pat!!!)

Jamie-Sue30
hi I can surely relate to your story, I had my bariatric surgery 9-2-12 and today is 11-5-12 and first day I can honestly say I feel "HUMAN", I had open surgery and also major hernia repair my incision is 15" long and 2 weeks after surgery when they went to take staples out they left it partly open 3'by4' by5 hole that has to be packed twice a day, I got blood clots in both legs while in hospital and came home to deal with that pain plus the other pains, had many a complication. got depressed and said" WHY did I do this to myself" well today I can now say 50 pounds are gone so happy about that and I can wear a pair of jean s I haven't been able to wear in three years it's a MIRACLE, still have open wound to deal with it's healing, blood clots are gone, get nauseau still and still can't eat much, I used to love water by the gallons now I have to make myself drink mywater and I gag on the protein drinks, still not getting enough protein into my body, yes still crave the "bad food's carbs, I pray for God's strength daily to not go back to bad habits that ruined by life, also good news got off blood pressure med, and all but one diabetic med/ so there is a good side, I know as each day passes and I get stronger and heal completely I will be 100% glad I made this choice to live a healthy life so I can be around to watch my kids grow and one day be a "grandma" hopefully not for another 5 yr.lol
yes I too seem to think of food non stop quess it was a habit I've always had and never realized til now that I am so restricted, but I must say this site and all the wonderful people I have had the pleasure of meeting on here have saved my life and mysanity, so thankful for each and every one of them. I wish you much success and fast healing, hang in , we can share stories and continue to encourage each other.
Have a blessed day
DOnna

Hi Jamie-sue03,
I can also relate to you Jamie! I am 7 days post-op and I was asking myself that up until yesterday. I started to feel a little better, and I mean a little! LOL!!! I still have some muscle aches and gas pains, but it's better than it was yesterday. I hope you will be feeling better soon, and like everyone has said in a few months we will be looking back happy that we made this decision. Feel free to e-mail me if you want. Take care:)

It's Kara609, had to change my username. I am almost 3 weeks out and still questioning why I did this to myself. I really wish I would have been able to do it on my own but after years of failed attempts, this seemed to be my only option. I was supposed to go back to work yesterday but still not healed and I'm dehydrated. I have one incision to the right of my belly button that HURTS and pulls and is still bruised. I just want to feel better and eat normal food. I'm not really craving anything, just something of consistency. As of Friday, I was down 28lbs and can only tell in my hands and feet. Hopefully once we feel better, we will realize why we did this and will start to reap all the benefits of it. I hope you start to feel better Jamie Sue

I am almost 3 weeks out and still questioning why I did this to myself. I really wish I would have been able to do it on my own but after years of failed attempts, this seemed to be my only option. I was supposed to go back to work yesterday but still not healed and I'm dehydrated. I have one incision to the right of my belly button that HURTS and pulls and is still bruised. I just want to feel better and eat normal food. I'm not really craving anything, just something of consistency.

Dear KDub/Kara,

Do whatever you need to do to get your fluids in! You need fluids to heal. You need fluids to be able to effectively absorb the food/protein shakes you eat. You need fluids to feel better. You need fluids for weight loss.

Add flavoring to your water. Drink sugar-free mixes like Hawaiian Punch or Crystal Lite. Add an electrolytic solution to your water, like Sqwincher or Elete -- check with doctor first. Drink vegetable or chicken or beef broth. Drink herbal tea. Eat sugar-free jello. Sugar-free popsicles.

You say you're dehydrated. That can be so very dangerous! What advice or help do your medicos offer?

Please keep us updated. Know that my thoughts are with you.

Sorry you are so down,Iam trying so hard just to beable to have the surgery has anyone been to Mexico to have surgery this is what iam thinking about

Hi Linda A, Be very careful if you go to Mexico, I understand that some people go there because it is less expensive and they don't have insurance but it can be very difficult to get the proper follow up needed once you are back in the states so please do your home work and be careful. There are some here that have had both good and bad experiances. :cool: Tom

Hi KDub, keep sipping your fluids and getting your protien in, it also helps in the healing prosses, your doing great 28 lbs is wonderful, it took me a while to notice I was losing weght and I still look in the mirror and think I look fat and I grab cloths that are to large for me and what I think is to small for me fits fine. It will start to get better just hang in there and keep doing what your doing. :cool: Tom

Back