• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why did you choose the surgery you chose and how is it going?

Hello, I am in week 4 of a 12-week bariatric surgery prep course. We've reviewed both the RNY and SLEEVE options more than once and I still have not "landed" on the surgery for me. I am not considering the LAPBAND surgery. I still have a fair amount of time and ultimately I know I will discuss this with my surgeon but I like to gather lots of information when facing a significant decision and would like to hear from you. What kind of surgery did you choose? How is it going? If you had it to do over would you choose something else? Why or why not? I am sure this question has been posted before, but I did a search and did not find it. Thanks in advance for your patience, if, when reading this you think...oh, geeze, not THIS question again! :) I look forward to hearing from anyone when you have time.

Hello, I am in week 4 of a 12-week bariatric surgery prep course. We've reviewed both the RNY and SLEEVE options more than once and I still have not "landed" on the surgery for me. I am not considering the LAPBAND surgery. I still have a fair amount of time and ultimately I know I will discuss this with my surgeon but I like to gather lots of information when facing a significant decision and would like to hear from you. What kind of surgery did you choose? How is it going? If you had it to do over would you choose something else? Why or why not? I am sure this question has been posted before, but I did a search and did not find it. Thanks in advance for your patience, if, when reading this you think...oh, geeze, not THIS question again! :) I look forward to hearing from anyone when you have time.

Hi Mrs Reiter! WELCOME to the Forum!

I was very scared of surgery. My Cardiologist talked me into going to a Bariatric Surgeon and discussing my options. I decided that the RNY was the right surgery for me. I chose it because I wanted all the help I could get. I could look at food and gain weight, so I felt I needed the extra help the RNY would give to me. I have dieted unsuccessfully for many years. Surgery went well, not much pain. I am so thankful that I had this surgery. It has changed my life. I still have a way to go but I have lost a lot of weight in a short time. I would do it over in a second!!!

Good luck to you! I hope you make the decision that is right for you. :)

Cheyenne

Hi Mrs. Reiter,

First let me welcome you to the forum. Congrats on your decision to start your weight loss journey. It is always a great idea to gather as much info as you need so that you are well informed and comfortable with your decision on which surgery you want to have. I had the Sleeve done. It was not my first choice. I was going to go with the gastric bypass. It was the surgery that my sister had several years ago and she did very well with it and she gave me so much info on the gastric bypass and I felt like that would be the best option for me. When I went to see the surgeon for my first consult he asked me what type of surgeries I had in the past. I had my gallbladder removed and a hysterectomy. Both surgeries resulted in my abdomen being cut open and he said it would be safer for me to have the sleeve done because there was more involved with the gastric bypass. My surgery went well but, I had to stay in the hospital longer than the two days that I was supposed to be in there for. I had some severe nausea and vomiting. They were afraid that if I went home after the second day that I would dehydrate. I am doing better now still have some nausea and my stomach burns so I will be having an upper gi done tomorrow. I have lost from beginning til now a total of 36 lbs. The biggest thing for me right now is that I am no longer on meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I am so excited about that. I would do this over again in a heartbeat. My weight loss story is still going on and I am still learning so much about me during this time in my life. Good luck and I hope you are able to figure out which surgery fits you best.

TillieS

Welcome to the forum.

I went with the gastric bypass since it promise immediate resolution of my Type 2 diabetes; like the immediate hours after the surgery I no longer needed meds and/or my 90 units of insulin.

I am six months out and still doing very well. I will be going for my A1C blood test soon. I expect to see a number still in the 5's without meds.

So that is the main reason I went with the "gold standard" gastric bypass.

As to the sleeve, more data is being collected and I understand that it also helps resolve diabetes if not immediately within the first 6 months.

I still opted for the gastric bypass. While the bypass is a bit more surgery, the malabsorption is something that I also liked. The success rate is excellent with the gastric bypass and the sleeve is proving to be successful too. But, so far it is the second choice for many of us.

Either way You will do well.

It is when we arrive at the maintenance stage and the long term and the honeymoon is over that I believe for me the gastric bypass gives me an additional edge.

Yes, we are on vitamins and minerals forever as a result of the malabsorption. I am OK with that.

This was a small factor for me.

I hope I helped.

Ralph

I also picked the R N Y with my surgeons help. before I was taking up to 125 -130 units of insulin three times a day since I was released from the hospital I have not had to take more then 2 units if any at all. getting better every day good luck with which ever .one you choose

I picked the sleeve because i do not want the malabsorption due to autoimmune issues with rheumatoid disease. I take NSAIDs and I need to absorb them. I also am not a diabetic. There is enough info out on the sleeve now that it is the top choice at my surgeons office, but you have to consider your own health issues when choosing and how much wt you have to lose. If i had really bad diabetes instead of RD I would have chosen the bypass

I picked the Sleeve and am very happy I did. I am just at 6 months post op and have lost a total of 105 lbs. I haven't had any problems and in my recent blood work - my labs all look really good (other than Vitamin A was low). I chose it due to the mal-absorption issues associated with RNY. The hospital stay was a day less for the sleeve as well. I was only in minor discomfort the first few days but I also had hernia repair at the same time.

I picked the Sleeve and am very happy I did. I am just at 6 months post op and have lost a total of 105 lbs. I haven't had any problems and in my recent blood work - my labs all look really good (other than Vitamin A was low). I chose it due to the mal-absorption issues associated with RNY. The hospital stay was a day less for the sleeve as well. I was only in minor discomfort the first few days but I also had hernia repair at the same time.

WOW,! You look great and I'm sure you feel great too. I wish I was where you are. You had your surgery one week after me and I've only lost 60 pounds. I've hit a plateau and that's disappointing. Could you please share what your typical menu is and exercise program? I meet with my surgeon on Friday and hope to find out what I can do to jump start my weight loss. I still have 107 lbs to go till I reach my goal. I'm trying not to let this stall get me down. I know I'll reach goal but I'd sure like to reach it in this decade. Thanks for any advice you can share.
You're doing GREAT! I'm so happy for you.
Kt

Well to start off my surgeon really decided what type of procedure I should get. I am a dialysis patient in need of a transplant, and of course I was not considered to go on the transplant list because My BMI was way over their requirements. He reccomended the sleeve, he gave a reason that I have since forgot. My surgery was May 19 2014 and it was more than a piece of cake. You won't believe it. I spent 4 days in the hospital trying to expel gas ( lol) wish is what the Dr. wanted and it did actually make me feel better ( they fill your stomach with some kind of gas to make it blew up so they can operate laproscopically ( spelling ). To me the worst part of it required from my surgeon was to have only liquids 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after. Since then I hav'nt looked back.

Well to start off my surgeon really decided what type of procedure I should get. I am a dialysis patient in need of a transplant, and of course I was not considered to go on the transplant list because My BMI was way over their requirements. He reccomended the sleeve, he gave a reason that I have since forgot. My surgery was May 19 2014 and it was more than a piece of cake. You won't believe it. I spent 4 days in the hospital trying to expel gas ( lol) wish is what the Dr. wanted and it did actually make me feel better ( they fill your stomach with some kind of gas to make it blew up so they can operate laproscopically ( spelling ). To me the worst part of it required from my surgeon was to have only liquids 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after. Since then I hav'nt looked back.

Congratulations on your choice to a new life!

I wish you all the success in the world and I hope your transplant needs are met.

Come visit us often and we will be here to help you.

The journey begins.

Ralph

I chose the gastric bypass RNY because of its high success rate. The only other health problem I have is high cholesterol which is familial - so I will probably take cholesterol med no matter what my weight. I had no problems with the surgery. I wish I had done it sooner.

Hi there! I am new, too. I am having my pre-op tests next week. I am having the Duodenal Switch done. My surgeon recommended that one because I am so fat (she didn't say it that way, but that is what it boiled down to - you are so fat, you need the most help you can get, so have the DS).
I have researched everything and I have three family members that had the DS done, and they are seven years at with a 200 pound weight loss and no regain, and 3 years out with a 350 pound weight loss and no regain, and 1 year out with a 130 pound weight loss and still losing.
Yeah, Suprise, I come from a family of fatties, too.

I have finally decided upon the surgery because I am 42 years old and have been yo yo dieting for 13 years. The yo-yo dieting has been unsuccessful and I gain more and more with each weight loss attempt !!! Does this sound familiar? I am so excited that my surgery is scheduled for 9/22/15 . I am hoping for new beginnings !! Prayers please !

I have finally decided upon the surgery because I am 42 years old and have been yo yo dieting for 13 years. The yo-yo dieting has been unsuccessful and I gain more and more with each weight loss attempt !!! Does this sound familiar? I am so excited that my surgery is scheduled for 9/22/15 . I am hoping for new beginnings !! Prayers please !

Prayers to you.

Best wishes.

I chose the gastric bypass since it immediately brought my diabetes under control.

I think with the gastric sleeve control is attained as well now, but not as quickly. I know once they lose all their weight with the sleeve diabetics see a dramatic improvement too. But, I haven't kept up close enough with it to do a complete and accurate comparison. All I know is the day after my surgery I no longer needed any medications to control my diabetes. My A1C is always in the 5's now without meds. I could work it down more with better dietary disciplines. But, heck I am very happy with the decision to do the gastric bypass.

Ralph

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Good Luck on your journey to a healthier life!!!

Cheyenne

Back