• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why is is so hard to get in 64 ounces of fluids

Pink49

Waking up to day 17 and I still can't get in 64 ounces of fluids and what makes it even worse i love drinking more than eating. Prior to surgery I always drank water, sugar free juice and diet soda...lots of water...so not being able to drink alot is killing me .
I do wish I could eat more that 4 or 5 bites of food, but if I could drink more I would be ok with that. So tired of sipping. I want to drink

Waking up to day 17 and I still can't get in 64 ounces of fluids and what makes it even worse i love drinking more than eating. Prior to surgery I always drank water, sugar free juice and diet soda...lots of water...so not being able to drink alot is killing me .
I do wish I could eat more that 4 or 5 bites of food, but if I could drink more I would be ok with that. So tired of sipping. I want to drink
Please don't use what I say as medical advice, but after a couple weeks of sipping, I had worked my way up to drinking my water. As long as I didn't gulp it down, and was careful to wait at least 1/2 hour before or after eating to drink, I usually had no problems. I was able to drink 64+ oz daily. Good luck.

Please don't use what I say as medical advice, but after a couple weeks of sipping, I had worked my way up to drinking my water. As long as I didn't gulp it down, and was careful to wait at least 1/2 hour before or after eating to drink, I usually had no problems. I was able to drink 64+ oz daily. Good luck.
Its crazy...I can eat ice constantly...I can even eat a popsicle but soon as I try to drink...3 sips and I'm full to my neck!

If you have times when you're idle, try focusing on reading or watching TV while you drink your water, measured out, using a spoon. Don't focus on drinking. Approach it like mindless eating but without the food. Allow water to become food. Measure it, keep it in a pitcher or bottle, chilled or room temp, pour into a rocks glass, then "eat" it.

Your body will tell you if this is working.

What a great idea from your doctor! I would have never thought of that. The way I got my water down was using 1oz cups (or shot glasses) and just forced myself to drink 1 every 15 minutes or so, until I got used to it. I hope the popsicle idea works for you, though. That sounds much more enjoyable than forcing yourself! Good luck

I used the shot glasses too just after surgery. I use to eat a lot of ice prior to surgery but now don't. Weird huh? I know eating ice can also indicate an iron deficiency, so be sure to have your iron checked. I have had a chronic problem with that all my life but I am monitoring it more diligently these days and no longer crave the ice.

Anyway you can get your liquid in is a good thing!

I used the shot glasses too just after surgery. I use to eat a lot of ice prior to surgery but now don't. Weird huh? I know eating ice can also indicate an iron deficiency, so be sure to have your iron checked. I have had a chronic problem with that all my life but I am monitoring it more diligently these days and no longer crave the ice.

Anyway you can get your liquid in is a good thing!
I just eat ice to get my fluids. I don't crave it. My iron is ok I have it checked twice a year

I just eat ice to get my fluids. I don't crave it. My iron is ok I have it checked twice a year
Hi again. I was looking at the headline for this post, and suddenly I pictured an egg and a half gallon milk jug next to it. Trying to pour that amount of water through a tube into a small opening in the egg seems almost impossible. That's what you are dealing with daily, plus fitting food in that same space whenever the water empties out.

To me, that visual makes it easy to understand the difficulties you are having. I don't know if this helps at all, but it's kind of amazing comparing that egg with the football sized former stomach that easily could handle large amounts of fluid & food.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211206-125440-291.png
    Screenshot_20211206-125440-291.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 68
For the last 30 or 40 years, the WaterWisdom scale has been 6 to 8 glasses per day. The "glass" referred to an 8 oz vessel, but that former standard was wiped out in recent decades by the 12oz glass.

Consistently, my medical providers have told me to consume eight 8oz glasses of water daily. No other liquids count toward that. Water stands alone because it performs biological functions no other fluid can.

If you don't want to live by that guideline, that's your choice. There are always people who smoke a pack of cigs a day along with a tumbler of alcohol, and they live to be 108 years old.

But I'm always going to advise people to drink at least 96 oz of water daily as a baseline. This was advice given to me repeatedly by experts for decades. Even WeightWatchers told us in the 70s through the 90s to drink 8 glasses.

My overall recommendation is to ask your medical doctor. Mine told me I was drinking TOO much water. It's hard for me to drink less. I actually fill 1-liter bottles with spring or purified water every day. I am never not carrying a bottle with me, even when I'm in a restaurant or bar. I'm allergic to lead and my skin breaks out in welts if it gets into my system.

There is an aesthetic benefit to drinking water, as it plumps skin cells, preventing wrinkled skin. And you have to eat less food if you're taking up space in digestive organs with water. It doesn't just run right out of your bladder. Water has a lot of work to do before it moves on. So it helps with weight control.

But it's your choice. I'd urge you to try it for a week and track what happens to your body. You may not notice any effect at all.

A little advice 6 months out lost 140 lbs "SIP"

Back