• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Wine

MamaJ

I love wine more now than I ever have. It just tastes so much better. Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio. I can drink a whole bottle every day but absolutely no more or I forget everything that happens. A bottle of chardonnay has about 615 calories. Does anyone else have this situation? I have a hard time getting in enough calories and the wine definitely helps.

I always liked wine so no change there. However, I would strongly caution you against drinking a bottle a day, even if you are not going over your calorie allotment. That is a lot of calories with very few of the nutrients that your body needs. I would also be concerned that you have found your black out point and are willing to drink right up to that edge. Daily. WLS patients are much more likely to become addicted to alcohol. I am not saying you have a problem, but your post leaves room for concern.

I always liked wine so no change there. However, I would strongly caution you against drinking a bottle a day, even if you are not going over your calorie allotment. That is a lot of calories with very few of the nutrients that your body needs. I would also be concerned that you have found your black out point and are willing to drink right up to that edge. Daily. WLS patients are much more likely to become addicted to alcohol. I am not saying you have a problem, but your post leaves room for concern.
I hear you. I do. I guess I am just getting frustrated and a little worried. I am 2 years out and I went from 250 pounds to 120. I am trying to eat healthy calories I just can't eat more than a couple bites so that means I have to eat all day long. Not really possible at work. I guess the frustration has made me throw caution to the wind and be reckless. Don't get me wrong I am very glad I had the surgery I feel so much better now and can do so much more activities. After recently seeing my nutritionist I have started to track my food again and am including good fats like avocado and olives. I know I need to get back on track. Thank you for your eye opening reply.

I think adding some healthy fats is a great idea. If you are having a hard time getting calories in and are concerned about meeting your calorie goals, there are many higher calorie foods that are still a healthy option. Peanut Butter for example. Nuts in general are higher in calories. There are also many foods, called low residue, that travel faster through the digestive tract.

I love Barefoot Sweet Red wine. I was worried that I had to give up wine forever, but you guys proved otherwise (thankfully). I watched a video that recommended no alcohol for one year after surgery. I guess I will have to play it by ear since everyone is different.

Back