• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

wish i would have been more prepared.

Surgery was Wednesday 4-18. I have never experienced this amount of pain ever. Each day is a little easier but as of right now I cant do a darn thing for myself. I cant cough, oee, swallow or sit. Everything I do hurts. I'm on so many meds i cant keep them straight. I managed to get down 12 ounces today which i more than yesterday. At this rate I will be dehydrated very quickly. Praying for the strength to make it through. Oh ya and I'm down 15 lbs. Doesn't seem worth it to go thru all this. Maybe my attitude will change once the pain subsides??? Help!!

You need to call your surgeon as soon as you read this and tell him / her about your pain and request a pain med that will work. Also discuss your fluid intake but in the meantime please sip on fluids every few minutes or eat sugar free popsicles as many as you can. You WILL dehydrate if you don't get enough fluids and will end up in the ER with a very unpleasant experience getting IV fluids for hours and hours.

I'm sorry you are having such a bad time but you need to take steps to overcome the hurdles. There is absolutely no reason to have bad pain when there are meds available to relieve it. Please call the surgeon.

im on oxycodone. I also had a hernia repaired which is what they are blaming most of the pain on. I have my little cups of water and protein shakes next to me. I'm walking a few times an hour. I just cannot handle the amount of pain I'm in...

Hi. First, you are only 3 days post op- and it sounds like your surgery was pretty extensive. Are you taking your pain med on a scheduled basis? You are on an excellent pain reliever. However, if your pain is limiting you as much as you say, you should probably contact your doctors office. Goodluck and i hope you are feeling better soon. Marge

im taking it every 4 hours on the button. Whine in the hospital I had morphine via IV every 4 hours and in between had the oxy every 4 so every 2 hours I received something. I spoke to the surgeon extensively even today and he and his team just keep assuring me that it was a very difficult surgery and it will take time to heal. While I realize all that, I just never expected this kind of pain. I delivered 3 children with no meds and thought that was tough!!

hi everyone!!! and to you....surgery of any kind is a surprise to our body. i am a registered nurse who has had many surgerys and worked in surgery. a very strong support team of family and friends and medical staff is imperative. give yourself permission to receive help is hard to do for some people....seems easier to give. i know i struggle feeling guilty about being heavy and asking for help. i agree with all the great comments made. above all call your medical teamwhen in doubt or it just doesnt seem right.

I know how you feel. I have my sleeve procedure on 4/20. I feel like I got hit by a truck. It is terrible. But everyday is a little bit better than than the day before. I just hope I gave myself enough time to heal before I have to go back to work. Hang in there!!!

I mean I can barely get up and get more water/protein shake. I'm in so much incredible pain. Every sip hurts so bad. I thought each day was getting a little better until this morning. I was in tears just sitting up in the chair. I have 3 young children I need to get up and dressed tomorrow and 2 of them to school. I'm so scared with how I'm going to do this. My husband can't take any more time off work and my sister and parents took off work last week to help with the kids. I'm so worried!

good moring readyforanewstart.

I understand your pain, for I've had 3 hernia repair surgeries and they are going to do my 4th when they do my bariatric surgery, they are suppose to put a prostestic plastic in there for my whole stomach is herniated according to the cat scan and the mess doesn't hold for me.
Iknow how bad the pain can be, I am fortunate to have twin 18 yr old daughters here to help me after my surgery.
If your husband lays out your kids clothes are they old enough to dress themselves? Can he make there lunches up tonight and refrigerate? I hope you have a neighbor or friend whom can come check on you, I know how bad each step you take hurts and the moving,unfortunately the more we are able to move no matter how slow it really does help with the pain, keep a pillow close by to hold against your stomach.also the pain med. can cause constipation another issue to deal with, even though you aren't able to eat much the body still wants the bowels to work too, they may recommend stool softners to make sure you don't have that pain too.
I will be praying for you to heal quickly and that someone comes along to help you with this journey. wish I didn't live so far away or me andmy girls would help you.
I am hoping once I see surgeon may 4 to get my surgery date then, I am not looking forward to the pain and discomfort but the new healthier me and these pounds that torment me and this huge herniated stomach to go down, it will be worth the pain to know once it's done, I will heal and feel and look like I want and be healthier.
DID THEY GIVE YOU A BINDER TO WEAR DUE TO THE HERNIA SURGERY? I HAVE TO WEAR ONE 24/7 PLUS A PLAYTEX GIRDLE JUST TO TRY TO GET SOME RELIEF FROM THE BACK PAIN AND STOMACH PAIN FROM THE HERNIAS. THE BINDER REALLY DOES HELP.
WHEN I HAD MY LAST SURGERY I ALSO WAS GIVEN NURSE CARE AT HOME. BUT I CAME HOME WITH OPEN WOUND FROM SURGERY MY ENTIRE STOMACH ACROSSS WAS OPEN 24CM BY 8CM AND 2CM DEEP IT'S BEEN 15 MONTHS NOW HEALING FROM INSIDE OUT, ME HAVING TO GO TO HOSPITAL WOUND CLINIC WEEKLY THEN MONTHLY I NOW HAVE A WHOLE THE SIZE OF A HALF DOLLAR AND SKIN IS GROWING OVER IT,BEEN A LONG PAINFUL 15 MONTHS OF HEALING AND NOW FACING HEALING ALL OVER AGAIN, BUT I AM TRULY ANXIOUS ABOUT GETTING THE BARIATRIC AND THESE HERNIA'S FIXED ONCE IN FOR ALL.
I WILL GLADLY LISTEN IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TOO, AS YOU SEE I'M A CHATTER BOX, BUT I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU TO RECEIVE COMFORT AND HELP AND SPEEDY HEALING TOO IN JESUS NAME.
HOPE THIS DAY GOES BETTER FOR YOU.
DONNA

We have things ready for the morning already. My middle child is 4 so it depends on her mood if she will get herself dressed. My you est is one so i have to help him and change a disper. I can't even pull my pants up so not sure how I'm going to change him. I have the binder and it's helping a lot. Right now I'm worried about dehydration. I had about 15 to 20 ozs yesterday and half that today so far. Every sip hurts. I have a call into the doc. Just waiting now. Thanks for chatting!! I need all the support I can get right now!

Was admitted yesterday. I knew something was not right. I have. Infection and severe dehydration. Today is my birthday and the nursing staff brought me. Jell with a candle. So sweet!! Missing my 3 youngsters like crazy. Wish I could just go home!!

Happy birthday to' readyfornewstart just saw you're back in hospital

hi
happy birthday
sorry to hear you are spending it in hospital, what happened?you mentioned an infection ? With incission on outside or inside plus you said dehydrated . Wow you've been put through the ringer.
I assume they are pumping your full of liquids, any words on when you get to go home? Will pray for quicky recovery , i am sure your litte ones miss you too and want to see you up and well. Post whenever you are able
praying for you
donna

I am glad to hear that someone finally listened to your cry for help hun. When reading your posts I felt so bad for you, but now you know there was a reason, even though it took a few days for the doc to listen to you. Even though you are in the hospital....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

so glad you caught this before your problem got bigger!!! happy b.d. and now many more...does your local support group have someone who is be able to help you? ours seems very availabe from what i see. hope to see you keep visiting we all care.

Don't know anything about physical support groups...so glad I found this one though! Still in lots of pain and finally drinking over 30 ozs, which is double what I had been for 5 days. Walking more but the pain is more than I can handle at times...

I had the RnY it only hurt when I laughed or sneezed, if the pain does not subside soon I could only sugest to call your doctor, I wish I could be of more help to you. My thoughts and prayrs are with you. :cool: Tom

hi readyfornewstart.
I know the kind of pain you are experieceing, for I've had 3 hernia surgeries and on one of them they also did a complete hyestercectomy hernia repair and also cut 7bls of fat off lower stomach, then the darn thing got infected, I know pain. I will pray you get relief today. those muscles they strengthen in your stomach are probabaly what is hurting the most because they have to do alot of moving things in there and yes the pain is worse than childbirth, I have 3 kidstoo. praying your day improves min, by min.
donna

I still can't do anything. I'm almost 10 days out. I return to work thursday if the surgeon allows. I have a desk job so that isn't my worry. I just want to feel normal again. I want to be able to take care of my family and house. I can hardly do anything at all. I'm starting to get dehydrated again. Not sure if I'm a bit depressed or what. The weight is flying off, but this seems like a crappy trade off. I would rather stay fat to be able to take care of my family. I regret this surgery completely!

I still can't do anything. I'm almost 10 days out. I return to work thursday if the surgeon allows. I have a desk job so that isn't my worry. I just want to feel normal again. I want to be able to take care of my family and house. I can hardly do anything at all. I'm starting to get dehydrated again. Not sure if I'm a bit depressed or what. The weight is flying off, but this seems like a crappy trade off. I would rather stay fat to be able to take care of my family. I regret this surgery completely!

I had a month off which was a lot of time for remorse and thinking about my descision, I was fatigued a lot and fell asleep in my chair several times a day, my energy and positive attitude came back once I went back to work. If the blues don't go away think about seeing a counselor to talk with. Hang in there, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

Back