• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Wondering if I will Qualify

brandi1987

Hey everyone! I just recently became interested in having gastric bypass surgery. I have done a lot of reading online about it and have decided this is something that i really want to do however i'm afraid that I will not qualify. As of right now I do not have any co-morbities but I am working with my primary care physician to get tested for diabetes and high cholesterol although i doubt I will have either. I do however think I might have sleep apnea. My BMI is over 40. My question is, has anyone had any luck qualifying with sleep apnea and a bmi over 40? I swear all i think about is whether I will qualify for this surgery or not. If anyone has any info for me i would really appreciate it. THANK YOU!

I had a bmi over 40 and no other co-morbilities. However it is different by insurance and office. You also have to have a history of (and tracked history) weight issues and the inability to successfully loose and keep of weight over a period of time. Surgery is not the easy fast track to long term weight loss. It is a tool only and will still take a lot of work on your side to be successful. I do have family history of diabetes and heart disease and high blood pressure but I hadn't gotten them yet

Back