• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Worried about travel

MNMike

Hi everyone. I am 5 weeks post op with RNY bypass. Have had a few issues with nausea causing me to not always eat much and miss my protein intake some days but for the most part I am fighting through it each day. I lost 20 pounds pre-surgery and 31 since my surgery so feeling super great about that.
My issue is that I have to start traveling for work again starting in 2 weeks. I wish I could delay traveling a little longer but that won’t be possible. Knowing I will be faced with hotel and restaurants for 4 days at a time I am really scared about how and what to eat. My nutritionist says it is too early to eat salads and refers me to the food guides but I was hoping to get some real world experienced advise from the great folks on this site.
Thanks in advance for any ideas and guidance.

Hi MNMike, welcome to the group! Do you like tuna? I love these little cans of tuna that can go anywhere and comes with its own fork. It's a small can so perfect for bariatric patients. These are dressed with olive oil and herbs. If you prefer tuna with mayo, they make single serve pouches (minus the fork) which I relied on in my early stages post surgery.

Congrats on your weight loss thus far! I would also take ready made protein shakes. You can buy hard boiled eggs already boiled and peeled. Most hotel rooms have a microwave so perhaps you can get some healthier frozen entree. I relied on Stoufers entrees in the beginning because I had some complications early on and had to get back on my feet with some rehab so the convenience for me was helpful before I would start cooking again. I would get entree's like meatloaf, salisbury steak, chicken, fish and only eat half (if that) and saved the rest for another meal.

If you are stuck needing to go to a restaurant, perhaps soup would be a good option. Or sometimes something healthy off the appetizer menu (like a crab cake) might work. As long as it's nothing deep fried.

Good luck as you get back into traveling!

Last edited:
Judy! Your post is such a perfect little guide, i want to snip it, laminate it and carry it in my purse!

When I'm hungry or mealtime is approaching, if I don't have a high awareness of what I should eat, hunger might drive my choices. But having a list on hand is the perfect defense against an eating disorder offense

Thanks again!

Yikes. That IS less than ideal. I am assuming that you will be flying, which makes taking food with you difficult. If you can get a room with a small kitchenette, or even a small fridge and microwave, you can hit the local grocery store. You could pick up rotisserie chicken, which would give you a few meals (think burrito bowls, chicken salad, chicken & rice etc) And it is super easy to make an omelet or scrambled eggs in a microwave.
If you are really more looking what to eat in a restaurant ideas, I tend to stick to BBQ joints. They are mostly meat with tiny sides. Mexican is pretty good since meat and beans have a lot of protein. But really, you can eat anywhere. You just have to order sensibly. However, I have yet to hit a restaurant that has a good portion size. You're going to be able to make at least 2 and sometimes 4 meals out of one order.

Thanks everyone. These are some very good suggestions. I am hoping to utilize the microwave in the room in the evenings and keep to the scrambled eggs from the morning meal service. I will be with a group of people so restaurant choice will probably be out of my hand but soups and meat appetizers should be a good choice for me. Thanks again for your time to respond.

This isn't easy even when far out from surgery. I am currently on a road trip to Mt. Rushmore with my kiddos. I ate the hotel breakfast today- scrabled egg, half a thing of Greek light yogurt and one mini muffin. Lunch i had half my spouses sandwich from Jimmy johns and dinner is now a salad that I ordered when I got my family pizza. I haven't had my protein coffee as I had regular coffee today instead. With 5 hours of straight driving I managed to keep the snacking to- 1 peice of licorice. 1 hard boiled egg and a handful of nuts over the whole day. Several more days to go before returning home Monday. Hopefully it doesn't go to bad!

Back