• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

worried

Iam worried about surgery is there alot of pain after also I was told different foods would make me sick is that true.
Mainly the pain I had was the air inside me causing lower back pain. You'll get past it. It'll seem like torture but the obnoxious pain is worth it and you can handle it. I didn't take any pain meds past the second day after surgery. I probably would've appreciated having a heating pad for my back. I got up and walked anytime I got uncomfortable. I walked constantly. Not everyone gets sick. I only feel sick when I eat too much. You may, you may not. It took me a few days to realize (actually I read it on another forum) that hunger pangs and post-op acid reflux feel the same. It was a totally different feeling than my pre-op reflux. I had stopped taking the meds for it. When I started them back up, I felt much better and realized I wasn't actually hungry all the time. My main problem was I the middle of the night, so I took it before bed.

Iam worried about surgery is there alot of pain after also I was told different foods would make me sick is that true.
I did not have a lot of pain, I thought I would but not to bad, and the pain meds helped, I do feel sick when I eat bad things, so stay away from sticky buns lol, and I didn't have the gas build up alot of people get it. Try not to worry about it, I know easier said than done, but it will be worth it, good luck

Hi Jill,

I just had the surgery 7/11/17. The surgery wasn't painful at all (for me). I stopped taking the pain meds and all of the other meds they gave to me except the Prilosec 3 days after the surgery. I found stretching helped any discomfort and getting up to walk around at the hospital helped a lot. The best way to prepare is to think of both best & worst case scenarios so that you are prepared either way. Know that if it does hurt you will be given enough pain meds to help control the pain (worst case). Know that (best case) you may not be sore at all. ;)

As for the foods afterwards... I am just getting the hang of all this now too. It will be a balancing act for you to find what works for you. Keeping in touch with your medical team and their support system that is in place will help you both before and after the surgery in finding what works for you (as well as keeping a good log so you know what you are able to tolerate and what you cannot).

Good luck!!

Hey :) Everyone is different. The surgery for wasn't all that painful for me. I didn't take any pain meds after surgery and only kept up with the acid blocker and blood thinners as required for the first 30 days. I completely agree with Michelle that things will be a balancing act for you afterwards. Just know that it will be worth it, whatever pain you may encounter. It is a major surgery and a life changing event that is a tool used to set you on the right path towards a healthy lifestyle. What you endure in the process is a stepping stone to achieving a goal your after, that will be worth it on the flip side. The best thing heading into surgery above all else is having a positive outlook! Not everything will be skittles and rainbows but knowing that up front is half the battle. You can do this! Good luck on your journey!

Back