• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Wow

But you've been having some problems that are causing your blood sugar to stay high, right, Mary? I can't find your details in your posts, but seems like you did share some complications at one point. And I think your blood sugar should go down a bit eventually, but don't you take meds for that?

For some people the blood sugar remains high, but they lose weight. I'm not well-versed on diabetes, but isn't this the case, that only medication can lower blood sugar in some people?

Diane, I'm on insulin - long acting once a day and then regular at meal times. Insulin causes people to gain weight, and hold onto weight. I think one of the reasons the blood sugar is high is that during the night, my liver dumps fat and that raises the blood sugar. I'm sure it will go down over time. I wonder if my weight loss is affected by being on insulin. Anyway, I'm sure it will improve. I've learned that gastric bypass probably would have improved it a little better. I also have lots of insulin resistance.
Still glad the surgery is giving me a new lease on life.

thank you for sharing your journey so honestly, and congratulations on your huge weight loss! It's almost unbelievable you've dropped 43 pounds in six weeks!!! wow! I hope newbies who are reading this will take encouragement from it. Even if you're not diabetic, you can experience high blood sugar and many other symptoms of illnesses, and some are made better by surgery. You're a great example for VSG. I would never have thought you could lose so much without RYGB.

Back