• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Yo...

rjbj

Howdy. So, I've committed to this surgery. Was going to have the sleeve but the doc recommends the bypass. I'm cool with that. Was going to have my surgery a week from yesterday, but I've decided to put it off because of ... makes sweeping gesture at all the medical chaos. Looking at late February now, though the new date lines up with jury duty. Gotta fix that. So I'm just saying hi. I've heard great things about this whole "internet" thing.. .

Welcome & glad to hear from you. My bariatric surgeon gave me the coice of bypass or sleeve. I figured I'd work better with the structure of the RNY requirements, and I have some minor acid reflux, so I chose that. Unfortunately, he must have checked the wrong box, and he almost performed the sleeve on me by mistake. Luckily we caught it in time! Good luck.

Yikes! Well, I'd have gone sleeve, but I had major MAJOR reflux. Think "xenomorph blood." Turns out that was because of an undiagnosed hernia, which will also be fixed at surgery. The omeprazole he prescribed has already resulted in a big improvement in quality of life. I thought that everybody had heartburn like that.

RJ is fine. My pronouns are he/him, though I have answered to worse.

Yikes! Well, I'd have gone sleeve, but I had major MAJOR reflux. Think "xenomorph blood." Turns out that was because of an undiagnosed hernia, which will also be fixed at surgery. The omeprazole he prescribed has already resulted in a big improvement in quality of life. I thought that everybody had heartburn like that.

RJ is fine. My pronouns are he/him, though I have answered to worse.
Yikes is an understatement for sure.

I have not had any issues with acid reflux since surgery. My surgeon prescribed Omeprazole & colace a week before I had surgery, plus 90 zofran pills. 3 months of Omeprazole, 6+ months of colace.

With your dr's consent if you prefer, I highly recommend starting on plant fiber (I use Benefiber daily). Constipation is a real possibility post-surgery esp. the 1st few weeks of eating & drinking mostly protein. It worked like a charm for me, mixed with Gatorade Zero - no taste or grit. I still take it almost every night.

Omeprazole is the active ingredient in Prilosec. All the meds they give us are prescription-level doses of OTC meds. It's a good time to read labels and do research on all the effects of these meds.

Karen & I and many others will testify enthusiastically about the benefits of Benefiber and other non-chemical stool softeners and laxatives. You REALLY want to make digestion easy on your body if you have any bariatric procedure.

I've seen that in stores but don't know much about it. I drink a little Gatorade Zero at night with my Benefiber, & occasionally (rarely though) when I'm out, but 95% of what I drink is cold water. I guess a little artificial sweetener is ok once in awhile, but I think it might cause sugar cravings? IDK.

Lol! The Gatorade zero has a “protein” version that gives 10 grams of protein per bottle.
for powder I use isopure protein (unflavored you can add to anything, vanilla you can use to make shakes) and PB2 protein powder (I love peanut butter)
For pre made protein drinks I do fairlife. (Chocolate) from Costco.
it gave me a variety after surgery.
I hope this helps!

Back