• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

You know you have lost a lot of weight when...

Pat99

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we could post stories about things that happen to us once we start losing weight.

I'll start off by sharing a story that started 2 days ago. I was doing some gardening work in my back yard. I use a wheelchair so I have to get in and out of it as I move around. I was wearing a pair of stretch denim bermuda shorts and a tank top. Since the shorts were several years old I knew they were going to be big on me but since I wasn't going out in public it didn't matter. As I continued to work and had gotten up and down from my chair many times I noticed the shorts had stretched somewhat. I also had some small tools in the front pockets so that I could grab them as needed. Well, I got up from my wheelchair once more and then it happened...my shorts fell off clear down to around my ankles :eek: I'm not too steady on my feet so I struggled to grab them and pull them up. it took a couple of trys since the tools in the pockets was weighing them down. I looked around to see if any of my neighbors were out but thank goodness no one saw me (I think). I immediately wheeled myself into the garage and made myself a "belt" out of bright yellow all purpose cord :p

I'm happy to say I went on-line this morning and ordered 3 new pairs of shorts 2 sizes smaller than the ones that fell off. I also sewed a couple of long darts in the waistband and rear end of the ones that fell off and they fit and look real nice. I'm glad I didn't have any holes in my underwear the other day :D

pat you are so funny. I would like to have seen it. get ypou a pair of suspenders.patti

Hard to believe I don't own a belt except for the one I made out of the cord. Trust me Patti, you wouldn't have liked what you saw *LOL* I thought I heard a couple of toads giggle though :) :) :)

I'm going to look around to see if I can find a pair of bermuda overalls *LOL*

Last edited:
wow::::":look at you go girl. I'm tellin yaget some ssuspenders and you will look so cooool...pattiyour weight is really getting started to go down. I am so proud of you. I guess its because I am getting older and tend so stay stuck. I am still the basic pouch diet and maybe if I could get focused to fix my diet regardlesss of the others in my family.patti

hi Pat glad to hear your doing great! is'nt it great that the little things mean so much? I was so excited when i did'nt need a bra extender anymore! haha or just crossing my leggs again!

Thats a great story Its hard when you lose about 5 pounds a week to keep up with the cloths size changes last week I was walking on my treadmill and i have lost 60 pounds since sugary date i have bought all new cloths once so far other day i started jogging i lost the work out shorts and the underpants where going with them so glad i was at my house as well so I understand about cloths falling off when you dont want them to

lol thats funny. I guess you did order new ones ;). I was standing in the hall and mine pants fell off the curtains were open I hope no one saw. I put them in the donation box. Feels good though doesn't it.
Hugs
Angie

I too have a falling pants story. On my way to Cancun, we had to take off our belts to get through the security checkpoint. I put the belt and all the other stuff into the bin and took one step, when the pants began a rapid migration towards my ankles. Thankfully I was faster and they didn't get far. So I'm holding my pants, when the agent tells me to step into the full body scanner and to raise both hands. i tell him "if I let go of my pants, you are going to have a show you don't want to see." He sent me to be manually scanned with a wand and patted down. I recovered my belt and survived. Afterwards my wife and I had a good laugh about it.

Frank

:cool:

all the stories are too funny! Mine haven't dropped but have been called baggie pants. Hoping i can get to spring cause i know i have things that will fit me better soon. Hate to spend the money on jeans cause once the weather is warmer you won't see me in them till fall. Happy loosing everyone
Michele

The new winter coat I bought in November is already too big. I can't wear most of my nightgowns because they fall off at the shoulders. I have only 2 pair of slacks that fit me well and can get away with wearing 2 more pair that aren't so baggy that they fall off. I managed to dig up 6 sweaters from storage that fit good. Since my weight loss has slowed way down I think I can get away with wearing the new shorts I bought last summer since they were a bit snug at first. I know I will have to get smaller warm weather tops since the ones I bought last summer were a bit big.

I really don't mind wearing clothes that are too big but a couple of my nieces have made some comments so now I'm a little self conscious about it. I don't like to shop for clothes so that makes it hard to get motivated. My hip surgey is scheduled for April 2nd and I'm going to need some things to wear for physical therapy that won't fall off so I guess I better start looking around.

No "strip tease" stories yet thank goodness. My hubby and I did have a good laugh over the double take I got from a waitress in a restaurant that we hadn't been to in awhile. She looked at me and asked if I was okay...lol...I said "yes"....and she said, "Okay, 'cause you got...."....and here she stopped and instead of saying anything she holds her hands up opposite of one another and brought them in towards each other. What???? You couldn't say smaller??? Less fat???? We rolled!!! I guess that's the "PC" way of saying, "You're not as fat as you used to be." lol

I have been going to the same dentist for 14 years and had my last 6 month check up in January. Once the hygenist finished with X-rays and cleaning my teeth she went to let the dentist know I was ready for my exam. When he walked into the room he stopped, looked at me and asked "what did you do with the rest of you?" *LOL*

I was at Target and saw some gym shorts on sale, $4.98, so I decided to buy a pair of XL, instead of my normal XXL. There was only one pair, so I bought them, went straight home to try them on. I really wanted to be able to start wearing XL shorts again. Unfortunately when I got home, I discovered they were XXL, on a XL hanger. So I went back to exchange them, and I rummaged through the rack, grousing about the only size available at this price were the XXL & XXXL. As I was walking away, it dawned on me that I have never complained because what I wanted was too big, it was always that they were too small. I walked out of Target with a great big smile on my face.

Frank

:cool:

You know youve lost alot of weight when your 3 year old grandaughter walks in the room while I'm dressing and says "Nanna what the hell did you do to your skin". I nearly fell down. I couldn't believe she said that. LOL I told her my skin was just old.

This is difficult to explain but I'll do the best I can. To get into my Trailblazer I have to step up onto a narrow running board. Due to a bad hip I can't move my right leg from side to side because the joint is locked in this direction so it takes a lot of time and effort to get into the car. By the time my right leg is in position and I'm ready to sit down I'm a bit tired and very sore. My left foot is still on the running board and when I'm finally ready I start to slowly lower myself down into the seat. As I'm sitting down my left foot starts to turn inward so it loses some contact with the board and the more I lower myself the less contact my shoe has with it. The problem that can happen is my foot can slip off the running board and down I go, falling out of the car. Here's the funny part. Before I lost weight I was able to sit down faster and easier because my rear end came into contact with the seat sooner because it was much bigger than it is now. Now when I'm lowering myself down into the seat it takes a LOT longer for my rear end to hit the seat and my left foot turns inward so much it's about to slip off the running board. Now I need to find something to put onto the seat to compensate for my smaller butt size to help keep my foot from slipping off the running board *LOL*

Last edited:
too funny! I had a full belly laugh reading that story Frank and now my eyes are watering! I can only imagine! Hope all is well, Michele

Back