• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

YOUR Tool Box/Starter Kit?

A question for those who have already had their surgery:

In hindsight looking back, if you could have put together a "Post Surgery Tool Box or Starter Kit" for day 1 through the first month, what items would you have included in it? Anything goes...pain relief, comfort, food, more helping hands, a special pillow, heating pad, etc...whatever you wish you would've had ready and waiting for you once you arrived home from the hospital and began recovery.

I'd like to have my own Recovery Tool Kit ready to go and I'm definitely interested in advice as to what "must haves" I need to put in it or have available to be prepared.
Thanks for any replies!
Brandy

Hi AmericanBrandy, This is a fantastic idea. I would like to be ready too. I have been trying different protein shakes. Pat99 had suggested in another post that it is good to have sweatpants to take to hospital and at home. I think it would be wonderful to have a full time maid (not too cute so hubby gets ideas teehee!) or maybe a twitch in our nose that we could use anytime certain things needed to be done. LOL.... just kidding, but sure is nice to dream!!!

I like the idea of a special pillow. I think I am going to make a pillowcase out of my favorite fabric. If I have time a warm cuddly quilt to match. Polish up my walking shoes for all the walking I am doing. Maybe bells on them!!! Hmmmm....Maybe a sewing project or a basket to weave to keep my mind busy and the time go by quickly. I am not too much into reading, but maybe a good movie that I haven't seen yet ready for the DVD. Although I have been referred to a book titled "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink, PH.D.

I am ready for any suggestions to make the Recovery Tool Kit. Thank you Brandy for thinking of this. Great Idea.

Hi Brandy....I was just reading a post about a gal in so much pain. Pat99 had suggested to this gal a truss. It is a wide band that goes around your abdomen, which is adjustable is length and width. From what she explained is sounds like an ache bandage which helps with the pressure and relieves some of the pain. Your doctor can write out a script for this or purchase from a medical supply store. This might be handy to add to the recovery tool box. Just a thought

I brought a favorite pillow, baby wipes, and lipbalm. Maybe bring a small thing of your favorite shampoo, conditioner, soap (I'd take liq. soap and scrunchy because bending/moving can hurt and it's easier to hold onto) - I was dying for a shower by the second day. I'd also bring ear plugs - I had a nice roommate with tons of visitors. Kind of hard to sleep with 15 people in the room. Maybe a small air freshner or perfume - I had a shared bathroom and you never know. I know this sounds weird but I was hot as hell when I had mine and it was snowing in march....I'd bring a few of those packs that you twist and it's cold. I'd also try and keep most of this stuff sample size....don't want to "move in" to the hospital. A calling card if you want to make long distant calls. A pen/paper is always good.

Oh, and unless you want to wear their slipper socks the whole time - maybe a pair of slippers.

Good luck,
Deb

P.S. Before leaving the hospital I'd ask for a copy of any blood work they may have done. You probably have already have had tons done but try and get copies of all of it so you'll have a baseline to copare to after the surg.

The truss is adjustable in length but not width. It has a wide velcro closure which keeps it very secure. If you ask for one in the hospital they will get you one. If they tell you they don't have any ask that they order it for you. I suggest you ask during pre-op and then again as soon as you are taken to your room. I had to ask a few times. The only reason I knew to ask for a truss is because I was told during orientation to ask for one :) :) :) It sure made a difference.

Hi AmericanBrandy, This is a fantastic idea. I would like to be ready too. I have been trying different protein shakes. Pat99 had suggested in another post that it is good to have sweatpants to take to hospital and at home. I think it would be wonderful to have a full time maid (not too cute so hubby gets ideas teehee!) or maybe a twitch in our nose that we could use anytime certain things needed to be done. LOL.... just kidding, but sure is nice to dream!!!

I like the idea of a special pillow. I think I am going to make a pillowcase out of my favorite fabric. If I have time a warm cuddly quilt to match. Polish up my walking shoes for all the walking I am doing. Maybe bells on them!!! Hmmmm....Maybe a sewing project or a basket to weave to keep my mind busy and the time go by quickly. I am not too much into reading, but maybe a good movie that I haven't seen yet ready for the DVD. Although I have been referred to a book titled "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink, PH.D.

I am ready for any suggestions to make the Recovery Tool Kit. Thank you Brandy for thinking of this. Great Idea.

Thanks, 1Step! I love your ideas! =) What shakes have you found so far that you find agreeable?
I also like your idea of sewing a special pillowcase, I might have to do that too. Maybe I can design an uplifting message for mine so I can read it when I start asking myself WHY, lol.

The truss is adjustable in length but not width. It has a wide velcro closure which keeps it very secure. If you ask for one in the hospital they will get you one. If they tell you they don't have any ask that they order it for you. I suggest you ask during pre-op and then again as soon as you are taken to your room. I had to ask a few times. The only reason I knew to ask for a truss is because I was told during orientation to ask for one :) :) :) It sure made a difference.
Thank you, Step1, for mentioning this and thanks Pat99 for all the info! I would've never thought to ask for something like this so I'm very glad to know about it. It sounds a bit like a corset, is that correct? I'm going to mention this for sure.

I brought a favorite pillow, baby wipes, and lipbalm. Maybe bring a small thing of your favorite shampoo, conditioner, soap (I'd take liq. soap and scrunchy because bending/moving can hurt and it's easier to hold onto) - I was dying for a shower by the second day. I'd also bring ear plugs - I had a nice roommate with tons of visitors. Kind of hard to sleep with 15 people in the room. Maybe a small air freshner or perfume - I had a shared bathroom and you never know. I know this sounds weird but I was hot as hell when I had mine and it was snowing in march....I'd bring a few of those packs that you twist and it's cold. I'd also try and keep most of this stuff sample size....don't want to "move in" to the hospital. A calling card if you want to make long distant calls. A pen/paper is always good.

Oh, and unless you want to wear their slipper socks the whole time - maybe a pair of slippers.

Good luck,
Deb

P.S. Before leaving the hospital I'd ask for a copy of any blood work they may have done. You probably have already have had tons done but try and get copies of all of it so you'll have a baseline to copare to after the surg.

Deb, thanks for the great list - it's not unlike what I packed for the hospital for the birth of my children! I also appreciate the suggestion to get copies of the labwork, I'm going to definitely want to keep track of my lab numbers, post surgery. =) Do you have any suggestions for a Tool Kit to have at home for those first few weeks? What did you find you couldn't live without? What do you know about now that you wish you had back then?

Hello all! You all have such good ideas! I am just starting the process and know hardly anything yet. Being prepared is the best way to get through this process and I need all the help I can get. What suggestions do you all have for wnen you get home?

When I was in the hospital once, my son grabbed a bunch of magazines for me without really looking at them. The cover of the Reader's Digest announced an article titled "10 fatal hospital mistakes". I laughed until I wet my pants!

Hello all! You all have such good ideas! I am just starting the process and know hardly anything yet. Being prepared is the best way to get through this process and I need all the help I can get. What suggestions do you all have for wnen you get home?

Catch up on the laundry, especially bedding, towels and sleepwear. If you can, pick up an extra weeks groceries for the family. Pick up some bouillon or broth, sugar free Jello and pudding cups, cream of wheat and some protein shakes for yourself. You may find your tastes have changed after surgery so don't go overboard on the protein shakes until you find something you can tolerate. Make a couple of family favorites and stick them in the feezer. Place things you will be using within easy reach. Check to make sure you have enough prescription meds for 1 or 2 weeks so you don't have to go out for them so soon after surgery. Pick up a few magazines and books for yourself. You are going to be very tired and will need to rest throughout the day so make sure you have someplace cozy to nap if you don't want to nap in your bed. Make arrangements for pet care for a few days in case you don't feel up to it. You can always take any pets you have to your vets for a few days if they offer boarding. I did this for a couple of days and was glad I did. The same with housework, hire someone to do it for a week or 2. Make it easy on yourself and have them change your sheets while they are there.

In general, you need to make things easy for your first week or 2 back home. Organize the house so you don't have to do any excess lifting, reaching or stair climbing.

Omg, I hadnt even thought about my new puppy, well she is 12 weeks old. My surgery wont be till Febuarary but she will still need to go out potty, my husband plans on staying home with me the first week but after that will I feel like getting up and letting the dog out. We have a fenced area that we let her go out to so I guess if its not freezeing outside we could let her stay out during the day until someone gets home. On the truss thing are you talking about a binder? I lost a lot of weight a few years back and got a tummy tuck and had to wear the binder for several weeks after the surgery. If its the same thing then I will make sure to find mine and make sure I take it with me. Any more items you suggest would be great, Im a planner so I like to get things together. Saw the no stairs thing, my bedroom is up stairs so should I be prepared to sleep down stairs?? I have had several back surgeries and slept in a recliner the first few weeks afterwards would this be a good ideal for after my wls?

Pat99 a truss is something men used to use for hernias I think. What you are describing is more like a low back support that has Velcro closure which occurs in the front and the rest of it is about 8 inches wide sides and back and front is about 5 inches. I use one for a really bad back so will bring to hosptial if they will allow to use otherwise will use at home.
Trusses usually have a half ball like thing that presses on an inguinal hernia I think but I could be wrong but for the purpose here I would say you want and elastic back support with front velcro closure.

I too am "nesting" for this and love reading all of the info. I read somewhere lip balm. I had my endoscopy last week and my mouth and lips were so dry that my lips stuck to my teeth! Made my friend crazy. So when I saw lip balm, I laughed and thought it was a good idea.

Donnayork-Please don't let your puppy stay outside all day. Maybe confine her to the kitchen or laundry room with some wee wee pads on the floor. There are also pet sitting services available that come to your home 1 or 2 times a day. They walk the dog, feed them and play with them and also clean up any messes they may have made. Or perhaps a relative or neighbor can stop in to let the puppy out. Another option is to keep puppy in a pet carrier but this isn't a good idea for more than 5 or 6 hours. Just make sure puppy has a bowl of water available and a few favorite toys :) :) :) My vet only charged me $15 a day to board my dog and I thought that was very reasonable. Although I felt bad because my dog probably didn't understand why mommy was gone and she was at a strange place, I had the peace of mind that she was safe and being well cared for.

The truss was called a truss, not a binder but it's probably close to being the same thing. It's about 10 inches wide all the way around and is somewhat elastic. You stretch it out before fastening it so it's at a comfortable support level for you. I found myself adjusting it several times throughout the day because I was sitting in a recliner rather than laying in bed while I was in the hospital and it was pinching me.

Catch up on the laundry, especially bedding, towels and sleepwear. If you can, pick up an extra weeks groceries for the family. Pick up some bouillon or broth, sugar free Jello and pudding cups, cream of wheat and some protein shakes for yourself. You may find your tastes have changed after surgery so don't go overboard on the protein shakes until you find something you can tolerate. Make a couple of family favorites and stick them in the feezer. Place things you will be using within easy reach. Check to make sure you have enough prescription meds for 1 or 2 weeks so you don't have to go out for them so soon after surgery. Pick up a few magazines and books for yourself. You are going to be very tired and will need to rest throughout the day so make sure you have someplace cozy to nap if you don't want to nap in your bed. Make arrangements for pet care for a few days in case you don't feel up to it. You can always take any pets you have to your vets for a few days if they offer boarding. I did this for a couple of days and was glad I did. The same with housework, hire someone to do it for a week or 2. Make it easy on yourself and have them change your sheets while they are there.

In general, you need to make things easy for your first week or 2 back home. Organize the house so you don't have to do any excess lifting, reaching or stair climbing.

Thank you, Pat! This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for!! What great suggestions!! =) I am printing your reply and sticking it in my WL Binder so I don't forget any of it! Keep the ideas coming, everyone, I'm loving the suggestions, tips and ideas!

Pat, talk to my husband last night an we both agree having her outside wouldn't be a good ideal. We have her crate trained so my husband said that if I'm not able to get up to let her out then he believes she will be fine to stay in crate till my son gets home from school he gets in at 2:20 so she would be in her crate only 6 hours if needed. Thanks so much, the info was very helpful

The one I was given in the hospital was about 10 inches wide the entire length without any bells or whistles on it. Anything that provides support will work in greatly reducing the pain. Even a couple of wide ace bandages would work in a pinch. If anyone ends up in a situation where you just can't obtain a truss you can hug a pillow against your stomach to help support it. This works especially well if you are a side sleeper or if you are in a sitting position. I did this after a surgery I had in 1986 and it made a big difference with my pain level.

Hi Karenina....do you think you could share that article with us..."10 fatal hospital mistakes from Readers Digest" . That might be something that can keep us smiling.

Back