• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Banana Cue/Bananacue/ Fried Banana

Fosgate

Ok, my wife from the Philippines is a banana fiend (Ana Banana) so we always have several bunches of bananas laying around in various stages of ripeness. I can no longer just let the over ripe ones go to banana bread since I don't eat much for bread anymore so we have to get rid of them before they over ripe. While she enjoys them plain she also likes it when I prepare them like she used to be able to get at home for an afternoon snack. So I always keep pack of wooden skewers in the pantry for the bananas. I make them in both the method of the Philippines or the Malaysian method I discovered when I was in Germany. I have both recipes below. While both involve deep frying in oil, not considered healthy, I simply do not use refined oils and cook at a fairly high temp of 375F+ to shed that oil off. My preference is Peanut oil as it takes alot for it to break down at high temp, neutral flavor and able to crisp up the end result much better. The Philippines typically use Saba Bananas or Thai Bananas (also for the second recipe) which are typically firmer and less sweet than the standard banana's we buy here. You can use Plantain or Burro Bananas if you like. I simply use greener bananas for the Filipino recipe and yellow for the second recipe. Both are a recipe not only you can enjoy but also your family for a sweet tasty desert everyone can enjoy and you don't have to feel guilty about. I've tried a couple air fryer recipes also without much positive results without being a pain in the rear. Without further delay here are both recipes with the Filipino one first which is super easy.

FB_IMG_1528226259553.jpg

Ingredients
1 bunch saba bananas about 15-18 pcs (or 3-4 standard bananas or 2 plantain)
3 heaping tablespoons brown sugar** (Palm Sugar works well too)
Cooking oil for frying
Sesame seeds (optional)

Instructions:
Peel bananas but keep them whole.
Heat oil in a wok (Deep Cast Iron Pan, deep fryer etc), about 1½ – 2 inches high. (I push my oil temp to 360f for reg bananas 350 for larger thicker)
Once hot, gently drop the bananas one by one and cook using medium heat for 1-2 minutes (2 minutes if you’re using bigger than the Thai bananas).
Turn a couple of times so the bananas cook evenly.
Sprinkle the brown sugar.
Turn the bananas ONCE so the sugar caramelizes in the oil. DO NOT STIR and keep the heat on medium. Once the sugar starts to caramelize, start moving the bananas around until every single piece is fully coated with the caramel.
Cook for 3-5 minutes while gently stirring continuously.
Sprinkle some sesame seeds, if using.
Turn the heat off.
Thread 2 bananas in a bamboo (barbecue) stick. (or one if other than the shorter Saba) Serve as is or with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream for the family.

Nutrition
Serving Size: 2 pieces
Calories: 158
Sugar: 19g
Sodium: 0 mg
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg

Next the Malasian Style Fried Banana

banana-fritters-28785-1.jpg

INGREDIENTS
6 bananas, peeled
Finely grated zest of 2 limes, plus lime wedges to serve (optional)
Peanut Oil to fry
Icing sugar, ground cinnamon & thick Greek-style yoghurt (optional), to serve (I prefer just running a thin bead of local clover honey lengthwise down the banana before serving.

BATTER
1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt

Instructions:
Stick a skewer lengthways through the middle of each banana, with enough length sticking out so you can easily grasp it and ensuring it will fit into your frypan, then place on a plate. Sprinkle over the lime zest.

For the batter, combine all the ingredients with 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl, then, whisking constantly, gradually add up to 1 1/2 cups water until you have a smooth, thick batter.

Fill a large frypan approx. 1 1/2in deep with oil and heat to 360F

In two batches, dip the bananas into the batter until evenly coated, then carefully lower into the oil (make sure you don’t overcrowd the pan). Fry the fritters for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden and crisp.

Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the bananas and drain on paper towel. Repeat with the remaining fritters. Set aside to cool slightly.

When ready to serve, dust fritters with icing sugar and cinnamon OR run a bead of light local honey down the banana. Serve with lime wedges on the side, with Greek-style yoghurt, if using, or ice cream for those not on a diet. (I like a vanilla, caramel or banana cream protein drink with mine)

Back