• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi!

Hi! My name is Dwayne and I am 4 years post op and having a few problems with compulsive eating for no reason I can detect. I thought maybe some support will get me back on track and to stay there. I hope to meet a lot of new people and be supportive!!

Hi! My name is Dwayne and I am 4 years post op and having a few problems with compulsive eating for no reason I can detect. I thought maybe some support will get me back on track and to stay there. I hope to meet a lot of new people and be supportive!!
Hi Dwayne, welcome to the group. You might want to use the "Search" feature to read what others have shared about compulsive eating, while the group catches up with you.

I can tell you compulsive eating does NOT go away when you have bariatric surgery. It's an entirely different issue that requires an additional emotional and mental approach, and it's very likely you'll always fight it.

In my experience, my compulsive eating gets better when I am closer to a normal weight. But I have struggled with it all my life, even though I've been successful in losing and keeping weight off because of RYGB surgery. It's just one of those things that you have to fight.

But you CAN do it. You can stay within an easier feeling of obsession regardless of how well you stick to a food plan. I don't think anyone ever finds they need surgery without being compulsive.

I suggest keeping a journal and writing down every crumb of food you eat, honestly and constantly, every day. I also think it's a good idea to plan what you're going to eat every day, and write it down. The act of tracking your compulsion honestly will help you get where you want to be. If your compulsion is getting stronger even though you're way out from surgery, go see a bariatric doctor or go to a clinic where you can find a support group.

We're happy to have you here and please feel free to ask us any questions or make any comments if you feel so moved. We're all in the same boat.

Back