• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I gained a pound

Momster

It’s been about 70 days since my gastric bypass surgery. I’ve been slowly losing about 2 pounds a week but today I got on the scales and I gained a pound. I’ve had a lot of problems with being hungry even after eating. I hope it’s just water I’m retaining. My feet and legs continue to be very swollen. I’ve been keeping the calories under 1,000 a day so it’s not because I’m not eating enough.

One thing I've found is that there have been a lot of plateaus along the way, for me anyway, on this journey. I would suggest making a chart and tracking your weight each week, or whenever you weigh, and then you can see things like, "Ok, I've been this weight for 3 weeks, this is definitely a stall" or similar information like that. My heart goes out to you as this is not an easy journey.

Yes, I do write down my weight weekly. I have discovered that on the week I gained a pound and the week I stayed the same I lost about 4 pounds the following week. So all in all that amounts to losing about 2 pounds a week. I wish it was more because this is supposed to be the honeymoon phase; but I’m pleased the scales are finally going down. Before surgery they were just going up.

Yes, I do write down my weight weekly. I have discovered that on the week I gained a pound and the week I stayed the same I lost about 4 pounds the following week. So all in all that amounts to losing about 2 pounds a week. I wish it was more because this is supposed to be the honeymoon phase; but I’m pleased the scales are finally going down. Before surgery they were just going up.
Good for you not giving up!!!

It’s been about 70 days since my gastric bypass surgery. I’ve been slowly losing about 2 pounds a week but today I got on the scales and I gained a pound. I’ve had a lot of problems with being hungry even after eating. I hope it’s just water I’m retaining. My feet and legs continue to be very swollen. I’ve been keeping the calories under 1,000 a day so it’s not because I’m not eating enough.
Day by day give yourself some grace trust the process

I love my weight loss tracking app, "LoseIt" it is streamlined and robust in features. I did by the lifetime membership so that I could use all the features and customize the nutrition I wanted it to track. It was worth it, because whenever I met with the dietician or nurses at my post-op appts I had all the answers to their questions about what and how much I ate right there to tell them. Also it reinforces good eating habits by having a visual of everything I put in my mouth and how it fits into my daily goals. I was told not to track calories but rather grams of protein, carbs, and fat by my surgeon's dietician. My app told me that it was well under 800 calories a day in the early stages which I didn't share with anyone except my husband and my mom. It worked steadily and without exercise. I upped my carbs when my surgeon suggested that if I found myself feeling low energy I may have to listen to my body. I was working full-time and felt like I needed more energy, but I haven't been losing steadily since allowing those extra foods, 4th meal snacks. There are phases, listen to your doctor, and feel free to ask questions about your concerns.

You’re doing AMAZING! Scales suck! I’m 4.5 years post-op - it was so easy to become a victim of the scales.

I can remember weighing every single time I went to the bathroom. I finally had to literally put the scale away and only weigh once a week, once every 2 weeks, once every month. Now, I only get on scales when I go to the Dr.

There will be plateaus. They can last a little while or several weeks or a month or more. Let your body catch up - it’s in starvation/survival mode. It’s very very common. Just stay with the program your surgical team established for you, it will get back to normal.

Celebrate ALL your victories! Don’t sweat the pound! You got this!!

Back