• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Intestinal blockage with colon resection

Ange6012

Hi All,

Haven't been around in a while been busy and enjoying my new life.

Well that was until June 21st! Was atn eye Dr appt when I began having pains in my stomach. Finished up and went home thinking I had terrible gas pains.
After 4 hours and the pain getting worse I decided to have some peppermint tea. I immediately vomited no nausea just heaving and gagging foam. Decided to get an Uber to the ER.
unable to stand uprite and clenching my stomach they had me inside quick as ever. CT scan showed
Intestinal hernia
Or
Intestinal blockage
And my colon was in the wrong place!
Emergency surgery was necessary so I had to sign all sorts of consents because they would not know exactly what was wrong until they got inside.
Thankfully they were able to laproscopically fix tge Intestinal blockage cause by my colon folding over.
Seems it was terribly distended and "floppy".
I am one week post op, feeling ok. Thankfully no bag. But very scared.
Low residue diet but concentrate on hydration more than food and expect to lose 10% of my current weight which was 14lbs. Not happy about that since I was pretty happy where I was and allowing my body to adjust as it needed to. In 1 week I have lost 10 pounds. Most from tge fluids they gave which had increased my weight 7 lbs.
I'm eating when I'm hungry but drinking as much as I can.
They want me moving alot but resting so I'm giving the resting thing a try. I'm not good at it though.
Please please please do not ignore stomach pain. I thought it was gas. Told my family I would be home soon don't come to the er. And was in the or at 9pm.

Hi All,

Well that was until June 21st! Was atn eye Dr appt when I began having pains in my stomach. Finished up and went home thinking I had terrible gas pains.
After 4 hours and the pain getting worse I decided to have some peppermint tea. I immediately vomited no nausea just heaving and gagging foam. Decided to get an Uber to the ER.
unable to stand uprite and clenching my stomach they had me inside quick as ever. CT scan showed
Intestinal hernia
Or
Intestinal blockage
Emergency surgery was necessary so I had to sign all sorts of consents because they would not know exactly what was wrong until they got inside.
Thankfully they were able to laproscopically fix tge Intestinal blockage cause by my colon folding over.
Low residue diet but concentrate on hydration more than food and expect to lose 10% of my current weight which was 14lbs. Not happy about that since I was pretty happy where I was and allowing my body to adjust as it needed to. In 1 week I have lost 10 pounds. Most from tge fluids they gave which had increased my weight 7 lbs.
They want me moving alot but resting so I'm giving the resting thing a try. I'm not good at it though.
Please please please do not ignore stomach pain. I thought it was gas. Told my family I would be home soon don't come to the er. And was in the or at 9pm.
Ypu're very well-informed and I see a positive outcome for you. I'm sure some of our members also related to some of the things you listed.

I hope you'll soon be fully healed and I kind of suspetct a liquid/soft food diet would be kind to your belly. For one thing, you can hod the food in your mouth like applesauce or yogurt and let it melt down your throat slowly.

so how are you feeling right now, after all that? and what are your prospects for normal healing from this point forward. Best of luck.

Thanks so much I will try that.
Well I do not have pain except for when my body has not yet released what needs to be. Dr says it will just needs time but things do happen
My incisions look great and except for the usual weak abdominal that ache when I stand too long and my back muscles which complain when I'm not standing properly. I'm ok
I bought an abdominal binder because for one day was the worst pressure where they removed the part of the colon. Game changer. It helped me stand up better supported that area of worry. I just tried not to leave it on too long for fear of damaging incisions since it was not dr ordered. But sometimes you just know what you know.
I have my follow up on the third but she says I will deal much better by then but no work for the first two weeks. Can't believe I'm already going into week 2. No driving yet and supposedly full recovery takes 6 weeks

I'm so glad you mentioned the abdominal binder. My surgeon DID send me home with one and man, it would have been painful not to have one, especially since I had an open procedure with a 7" incision. I hope other members also talk about their experiences with abdominal binders.

Hi All,

Intestinal hernia
Or
Intestinal blockage
I'm so glad you're ok!!

I'm so glad you mentioned the abdominal binder. My surgeon DID send me home with one and man, it would have been painful not to have one, especially since I had an open procedure with a 7" incision. I hope other members also talk about their experiences with abdominal binders.
Mine did not. I did that myself.

Omg that had to be painful!

Back