• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Lap-Band to sleeve advice (Low BMI )

K10FO

Hello!
Looking for advice from
Others that have been in similar situations…
In May 2024 I had my band removed in an emergency surgery due to a slippage and being completely blocked. My insurance, UHC, may * cover a revision but my case manager is saying its 50/50 chance of being approved with my BMI at 27.
Its super frustrating that everyone is eager to tell me where my BMI needs to be to have the surgery approved as if it would be easier to gain 45 lbs! I have great success with the band over the past 10 years and lost about 100lbs and was able to keep
Most of it off. The thought of slowly putting that weight back on is really overwhelming and has made me quite depressed since having to have the band removed.
Anyone have any advice on how to approach this scenario and success stories of getting a revision covered with a low BMI?
Thanks and bunch and good luck to everyone on yyour journies!!
Kristen

That is the beauty of our healthcare system in America. Unfortunately, the lowest BMI they will consider is 30, and you have to have at least 2 comorbidities (such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and others) to qualify. This is why some people choose to bypass this whole bureaucracy and get things done in Mexico with a lot of success. If they give you the run-around, I would consider that alternative if you can and if you dare to. They have a special in TJ for $3,999 with 2 years of follow-up.

You are the first person who said something positive about the lap band, and that's because of your hard work.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Hector"

Back