• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sickness/weight gain

One year post surgery I was getting sick weekly. Something im not used too. I am a nurse and was getting ill with the patients I cared for. Then the weight started to come back on. I feel like I'm back where I started. Any help would be appreciated.

I have no idea why you're getting sick on a weekly basis. This is an issue for a doctor to address. It may be serious. The fact that it repeats weekly makes me wonder what you ate that day or the day before, and if there's a pattern based on a type of food.

It could also be some kind of negative message that's repeating in your brain, like suddenly a voice is telling you you're fat and you need to purge your body of the food you've eaten. These messages are powerful but they can be counteracted.

But first, take it to a doctor, and specifically, to any medical professional related to your actual surgery at whatever medical facility you chose. This is simply follow-up, although it's been a year. It's worrisome, though you weren't specific about "getting sick weekly" and what that means.

You don't make a direct link to the surgery, but you are asking for help here, so it seems you may think it's related. Take the first step and find out what you can rule out medically. Let your doctor be your guide.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry i should have been more clear. I wasn't getting sick to my stomach. I was getting colds and flu. I did see the doctor and he said that my immune system has been compromised due to the surgery. I take vitamins, but because of being sick all the time I wasn't able to eat what I should. So I feel like that has been the biggest part of my weight gain.

So it's not really the surgery that's contributing to your compromised immune system. It's the fact that you can't eat enough good food. I assume you're eating too much "comfort food" to compensate.

Have you tried juices, and in particular, V-8 Juice? You should get boosts of the vitamins you don't get enough of in your daily doses. There are so many juice options these days, but it's a good idea to study sodium and sugar content before you add a lot of them to your daily diet.

Just to confirm the immune system issue, I'm pasting this here:
1728516419974.png

Back