• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 Day Post-Op - HOLYMOLY

Time4me123

Hi family,

wow, wow and wow. That was interesting - going home same day just a few hrs later and feeling that awful gas pain from the air they introduced for the procedure was excruciating.

muddled thru things as best as I could last night with the little pain meds I was give as well the the chewable had meds. Struggled literally even to get tiny sips iin. Having so much frustration over this stinking darn gas pain which I’ve only been able to release a couple pathetic excised for belches - no luck with any of the holy “fart” grail releases and I have been praying to the heavens it can happen soon.

All these fun things and the abdominal binder - Omg WHY and HOW long do we need to keep this on?? Tried mh best to get a little sleep but with the bloated gassy pain feels as well as my poor tum feeling squished by this torture secuse - it’s only making the urge to vommit stronger. Slept sitting up with a slight decline and found myself spitting up phlegm sporadically. Is that normal, trying to get out any of it so it doesn’t settle in my lungs. Been taking mini “walks “ around the hallways here at home with my bf’s assistance hoping to brew up a as release. I’m less than 24hrs post op so I appreciate you all in advance for any and all tips / tricks.

I’m so very happy to finally have had this opportunity, but HOLY WOZERS - the ducks are real!!

Thanks, friends.
Gassy and not so Sassy

Oh, I forgot to mention hiccups- as if I thought hints couldn’t get any worse - and also a pain that radiates up to the sides of my neck - anyone else experience this??

Hi family,

wow, wow and wow. That was interesting - going home same day just a few hrs later and feeling that awful gas pain from the air they introduced for the procedure was excruciating.

muddled thru things as best as I could last night with the little pain meds I was give as well the the chewable had meds. Struggled literally even to get tiny sips iin. Having so much frustration over this stinking darn gas pain which I’ve only been able to release a couple pathetic excised for belches - no luck with any of the holy “fart” grail releases and I have been praying to the heavens it can happen soon.

All these fun things and the abdominal binder - Omg WHY and HOW long do we need to keep this on?? Tried mh best to get a little sleep but with the bloated gassy pain feels as well as my poor tum feeling squished by this torture secuse - it’s only making the urge to vommit stronger. Slept sitting up with a slight decline and found myself spitting up phlegm sporadically. Is that normal, trying to get out any of it so it doesn’t settle in my lungs. Been taking mini “walks “ around the hallways here at home with my bf’s assistance hoping to brew up a as release. I’m less than 24hrs post op so I appreciate you all in advance for any and all tips / tricks.

I’m so very happy to finally have had this opportunity, but HOLY WOZERS - the ducks are real!!

Thanks, friends.
Gassy and not so Sassy
I was only allowed ice chips for the first couple hours. I had no problem with sipping water. I did chew Gas-x for the gas pains. The more you move the more you will expel the gas. Which surgery did you have? I did not wear a binder. Neither has anyone I know that had the sleeve surgery.

I was only allowed ice chips for the first couple hours. I had no problem with sipping water. I did chew Gas-x for the gas pains. The more you move the more you will expel the gas. Which surgery did you have? I did not wear a binder. Neither has anyone I know that had the sleeve surgery.

Thank you so much for your reply!! I think I’m going to take it easier today and not stress as hard as I was in getting the liquids in. I actually had the vertical gastric sleeve. Someone called me from the bariatric clinic (Kaiser) while I was asleep a bit ago, I left them a voicemail- assuming they are checking in how I’m doing. Did you experience any phlegm? Definitely took a few short walks as tolerated in the house yesterday- plan to do more today. I’ll have to ask them about this abdominal binder. What procedure did you have done? Ps - Gas X is on the menu right now.

I also had the gastric sleeve. They did tell me about the gas pains that could travel up to my shoulders and neck. I did not experience that. I did have hiccups one day that lasted for 2 hours. I also had a bit of phlegm for a couple weeks. This is normal.

I loved my binder. Husband hated it. So, it depends on you, I think. I don't know how long they told you to keep it on but he took his off immediately lol
Try a heating pad for the gas pain. Many people have said they were told to keep it on their shoulders and that helped.
It can take a while before you're feeling better. Take things as slowly as you out need to and don't be afraid to call your team with any concerns. Welcome to the losers circle lol

I loved my binder. Husband hated it. So, it depends on you, I think. I don't know how long they told you to keep it on but he took his off immediately lol
Try a heating pad for the gas pain. Many people have said they were told to keep it on their shoulders and that helped.
It can take a while before you're feeling better. Take things as slowly as you out need to and don't be afraid to call your team with any concerns. Welcome to the losers circle lol
Thank you so very much! I wasn’t informed about the gas pain potentially traveling up to sides of my neck- what’s flippin weird feeling that was!!

As for the binder, I decided to keep it on, i just loosened it a bit for comfort with my bloated tum - and in happy news - I’ve had some luck passing gas between late last night & this am!!! 3 good ones so far - never thought I’d celebrate a freaking fart til now!! Can I get a HALLELYERRR?!!

Hey there, Missy!! Ahh what a great tip!! I’ll be sending out my bf to get me a heating pad today, you can bet on it!! Thank you so much!! And I’m so happy to be a future LOSER with all of my amazing loser new friends here!

PS - weird bragging rights moment- I’m a little less than day 2 post op - BUT - guess who was able to fart 3 times between late last night and this morning!! WOOHOO!! So funny to be discussing that- but goodness, that was such a cruddy and painful feeling!

Also, at my post op phone appt with my surgeon, who I actually really love - he told me while he was in there, that I had a hiatal hernia so he repaired that as well as creating my new sleeve - so, I had the 2 for 1 special - lol -
And also it explains the extra challenge with swallowing and pain. It’s all making sense now.

Here’s to say 2 post op being a great day, and with subsequent days ahead - I’m so eager to heal, but promise not to do anything at all outside my means!! Grateful for my grown up kiddos and bf who have been so helpful!

Appreciate all your tips and fricks, friend! Have a beautiful day!

Hi family,

Thanks, friends.
Gassy and not so Sassy
I have no idea how I breezed through my bypass surgery. Mild pain, no binder, etc. Did anyone else breeze through theirs?

Back