• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 month out and in "starvation mode" for last 3 weeks ???

Jody Cibak

Hi everyone. I am so frustrated, irritated and angry because I am 1 month out and have been in "starvation mode" the last 3 weeks. The first week I lost 12 pounds and that was it. I've lost no weight the last 3 weeks. I'm getting 60+ grams of protein a day and eating 3 meals a day but still nothing. What am I doing wrong? I am even walking 2 times a day for exercise. The nutritionist wants me eating 1000-1200 calories a day as well but I can't most days because I feel nauseas if I force myself to eat too much. I can't believe I went through this whole process of surgery to loose weight and I still can't loose the weight. Am I just cursed to be overweight my whole life or what? So not happy!

Please don't give up on yourself. It will take time for your body to adjust to what you have done. Don't force yourself to eat just to get the calories in. It is not uncommon to plateau. It is your body adjusting to the rapid loss so far. Maybe try spitting those three meals into five smaller protein packed meals. That way your body starts to realize you are going to feed it and starvation mode should end. Hang in there!
Kelly

Thanks so much for the inspiration Kelly. As I said it's just so frustrating when you don't see any progress for such an extended period of time but I'm going to stick with it as I don't really have a choice or will to give up. I was warned by my nutritionist that this would happen but I still get down when I don't see that scale moving. Thanks again!

Hi everyone. I am so frustrated, irritated and angry because I am 1 month out and have been in "starvation mode" the last 3 weeks. The first week I lost 12 pounds and that was it. I've lost no weight the last 3 weeks. I'm getting 60+ grams of protein a day and eating 3 meals a day but still nothing. What am I doing wrong? I am even walking 2 times a day for exercise. The nutritionist wants me eating 1000-1200 calories a day as well but I can't most days because I feel nauseas if I force myself to eat too much. I can't believe I went through this whole process of surgery to loose weight and I still can't loose the weight. Am I just cursed to be overweight my whole life or what? So not happy!

First of all, if your nutritionist is basing your diet on calories, they need to go back to school, because they are treating a WLS patient who is now on a protein diet with concerns of calories. Ugh! so frustrating is right. If you want to lose weight, you should be focused on protein and water. Forget the carbs! 90-120 grams of protein a day, 60 oz. of water minimum a day of water. You can count the protein shakes as liquids for water intake. You don't have to take my word for it, but I've lost 125 lbs. and I'm still losing weight. Most of your hunger is lack of enough water, it should ease up once your drinking all your fluids! 3 small meals a day is enough if you are also doing one or two protein shakes to keep up with the grams of protein you need. The last thing you want to do is stretch your new belly cause some NUT wants you at 1200 calories a day. If you get plenty of protein, you will have plenty of energy everyday to get through your day! I hope this helps!

Oh, and I forgot, sleeve patients are typically slow and steady. When you hit a plateau, you may be losing inches and not pounds while your body adjusts. If you plateau for more than 2 weeks, call your surgeon. I haven't gone past 2 weeks yet, and they said to call if I am not steady for a long period of time. :) Remember that 60 grams of protein a day is only a 'maintain' level. Not a lose weight level of protein. It will be your daily goal once you hit your goal weight. :)

Back