• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 month post op and weight loss has slowed a lot

Lesa Marie

Today marks a month post op for me and I’ve lost a total of 29lbs. The 3rd week I gained 3 lbs and I had a friend who gained 4 lbs that same week post op. Doc said it was completely normal for that to happen and that it might fluctuate for 2-3 weeks while adjusting to solids. So then I did my 4 week weigh in today and I’ve only lost 2 1/2 lbs. My friend said her weight loss didn’t pick back up till week 6. What has been your experience?

Everyone is a bit different. As long as you are following your guidelines for food and hydration, things will progress. Some people lose much less than that the first month, so you are off to a great start. There are lots of fluctuations in body fluid and adjustments your body goes through.

Keep your focus on continuing to make good food choices, getting your protein and hydration on point and once you are eating more regular foods you can develop your lifelong habits that will be solidly in place when you reach your lowest weight and you are ready to maintain.

Stalls and slowdowns can happen anytime. They are part of the process for many.

No matter what the scale reads, if you are incorporating healthy things into your lifestyle you'll be making progress your body will appreciate.

If you search for "stalls" you will be able to see ALL of our freak outs lol It seems like a LOT of people get a stall at around 3 weeks and it can actually last for a few weeks. Do not get discouraged. And there is no reason for you to change your diet/exercise routine this early in the game. It is just something that happens as your body tries to adjust to such a massive and quick change. Follow the dietary instructions that you were given and you'll be back on track in no time.

Back