• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 month pre op, weight loss stalled

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I am 1 month out from surgery. I have lost a total of 20 pounds, but 10 of that was from preop diet. I am eating protein first, and very little of anything else. I see a lot of people saying how weight just fell off the first few months but my weight had basically been the same for 2 weeks now. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I am also walking 4 times a week. I have 60 more pounds I want to lose. Any advice/ suggestions are appreciated.

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I am 1 month out from surgery. I have lost a total of 20 pounds, but 10 of that was from preop diet. I am eating protein first, and very little of anything else. I see a lot of people saying how weight just fell off the first few months but my weight had basically been the same for 2 weeks now. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I am also walking 4 times a week. I have 60 more pounds I want to lose. Any advice/ suggestions are appreciated.
Hello and welcome to the group. Congratulations on your surgery! Unfortunately, over the past couple weeks most of our pre-op members have been cancelled due to the virus outbreak. You should feel very grateful that you squeaked by. :)

20 pounds is great, even if the first 10 was pre-op. Think of it this way, in any given month before surgery, would you have lost 10 pounds? There is really no "normal" rate of loss. Surgery results are as individual as each person having it. Can I ask which surgery you had? As long as you keep up with your medically supervised program, these remaining 60 pounds will come off. Also, when you start the process at a lower weight, in your case, only needing to loose 80 pounds total, the loss may be slower than someone who needs to loose 150+ pounds. Keep that in mind as well.

Please keep writing and let us know more about yourself and your journey.

I would say keep on with what you're doing. It sounds like you may have less weight to lose than many people. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. But, as Brenda said, that's 10 pounds you wouldn't have lost without the surgery.
Congrats you got your surgery in. And welcome.

Hi! So I had gastric bypass at the end of February and I stalled after three weeks and stayed that way since. I was convinced I was doing something wrong even though I was following all the rules. I was worried the surgery just didn't work for me. I asked my doctor and she said that is normal. Our bodies are adjusting to the new diet. She suggested I take measurements. Even if its just my waist. And to take photos. That has actually helped me a ton. The scale moves some but not a lot but the inches are for sure going down. So that might help. I also decided to only weigh myself once a week so I don't obsess over it. :) Just a suggestion that has helped me.

Hi! So I had gastric bypass at the end of February and I stalled after three weeks and stayed that way since. I was convinced I was doing something wrong even though I was following all the rules. I was worried the surgery just didn't work for me. I asked my doctor and she said that is normal. Our bodies are adjusting to the new diet. She suggested I take measurements. Even if its just my waist. And to take photos. That has actually helped me a ton. The scale moves some but not a lot but the inches are for sure going down. So that might help. I also decided to only weigh myself once a week so I don't obsess over it. :) Just a suggestion that has helped me.
Thank you so much mckenzie, both taking measurements and limiting the scale to once a week are some of the most valuable tips I'd ever received.

hi. we all lose weight differently. women lose weight slower than men. Also I noticed when your monthly visitor comes you don't lose any weight. Plus with this coronavirus going on and being home and not out exercising you cant lose as much as you would hope too.

Back