• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 oz of food... that is soooo much food!

I never thought I would say/think that before! Pre-surgery me would have laughed in my face. But here I am, starting week 16 and my surgeon said I am supposed to increase my food intake to 4 oz per meal, so that is an increase of one ounce per meal and three in the day. When I meal prepped yesterday, I had a smile on my face because the divided food container was looking like a normal meal. In the small side I put one ounce (2 tablespoons) of salad and on the larger side I had one ounce of green peppers and 2 oz of my buffalo chicken. Four ounces, easy enough! But now I am sitting here eating it and I realized that extra ounce is a lot! I do believe that is what is left in my dish at the moment and there is no way I am going to finish it. For the first time in a long time, I'm full. Which, I am ok with. I am learning that while the dr says these are the guidelines to live by, my stomach and body don't always agree with the dr's recommendations. I haven't measured out my meals in awhile. I would just eyeball the amount and eat slowly. Because of the increase, I wanted to see if I was on track with what the dr said. My stomach might be a little behind, but at least I feel comforted with the fact that I have been doing things right according to my body. I haven't been overeating. I have simply been listening to my body and what it needs. It is sad to leave some left over, but the left over amounts will mean an extra serving over the weekend!

I never thought I would say/think that before! Pre-surgery me would have laughed in my face. But here I am, starting week 16 and my surgeon said I am supposed to increase my food intake to 4 oz per meal, so that is an increase of one ounce per meal and three in the day. When I meal prepped yesterday, I had a smile on my face because the divided food container was looking like a normal meal. In the small side I put one ounce (2 tablespoons) of salad and on the larger side I had one ounce of green peppers and 2 oz of my buffalo chicken. Four ounces, easy enough! But now I am sitting here eating it and I realized that extra ounce is a lot! I do believe that is what is left in my dish at the moment and there is no way I am going to finish it. For the first time in a long time, I'm full. Which, I am ok with. I am learning that while the dr says these are the guidelines to live by, my stomach and body don't always agree with the dr's recommendations. I haven't measured out my meals in awhile. I would just eyeball the amount and eat slowly. Because of the increase, I wanted to see if I was on track with what the dr said. My stomach might be a little behind, but at least I feel comforted with the fact that I have been doing things right according to my body. I haven't been overeating. I have simply been listening to my body and what it needs. It is sad to leave some left over, but the left over amounts will mean an extra serving over the weekend!
Isn't it so funny? I remember when I first tried to eat a Healthy Choice meal and couldn't finish it. It would have taken at least 3 of those to equal the normal portions that I used to eat before surgery.

Back