• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 week on pre-surgery “post-op” prep

Hey all,
So it’s been a week since I decided to adopt the post-op way of eating and prepping while I wait for my surgery date due to COVID. It has been eye opening. Yes, I have the option to stop because I don’t have the surgical tool in place to assist with restrictions, but that defeats the purpose. I set a time starting at 5a for water reminder that goes off every 45 mins, but at 6:15a 9:15 12:15 3:15 and 6:15p (200 cal each meal because I’m told 1000 cal for now) a reminder for meals set for 15 mins allows for slow eating and syncs back with water timer 30 mins after (there’s one for 30 mins before to stop water to comply with drink recommendation). Last water reminder at 8:30p. Had spin classes (2), personal training (2), and dedicated walking mileage of 22 total miles at the end of this first week. I lost 11.6 lbs, got in 92 oz of water, 58 grams of protein. Notes: need to slow down eating. First day finished in 3 mins. Yesterday 11 mins. Occupy the mind. Every moment I felt like I was concentrating on when I could eat again. Day 4 I nearly ordered delivery because I felt I wanted to “feel normal”. But I can’t do that after surgery and the point of the whole process is to be healthy and establish I better relationship with nutrition. Also I need to eat protein first. I’m still a mixer.
I feel my biggest revelation was the concept of feeling “normal”. Kept thinking normal people don’t have to do this, normal people can do XYZ. That’s my trigger, not feeling like I’m like everyone else and that I don’t belong. Those thoughts kept driving the desire to keep eating. Intellectually I know there is no “normal”, “everyone”, and the like. It’s my depression trying to take the wheel again, and it’s sidekick anxiety can’t help itself, and loves chiming in. I’m jotting all this for therapy so that we can really break this cycle down. You would think the weight loss would be motivating, but I also fear success and know self sabotage will try to hitch a ride really soon. I just want to scream. Will take it easy though. Baby steps.

This is a great idea. I too started making changes to prepare for life after surgery. I wouldn't say to the same as your dedication but changes none the less. In the beginning of my process I had to meet with a dietician who gave me a set allowed daily calorie count. I have stuck with those calries every day since, only going over 4 times in 6 months. Which is more than I would like, but I can say they were all times I had alcohol. Just goes to show how much drinking calories adds to your intake. I have also been trying to sip water rather than chug it which is SO HARD for me. I drink more than enough but I tend to chug it randomly, rather than sip it regularly all day. Been back to tracking everything I eat since that 1st dietician apt. also. I have never really been a "calorie drinker" other than occasionally alcohol. I do drink diet soda, so I have also been cutting down from that too. Drinking during meals is a BIG thing for me, so I have been working on that the most. I easily drink 20-40 OZ of water WITH my meals. I don't even know how people eat without drinking but I am learning/trying. I have to think about it, and I am down to usually just 8-10 OZ during meals now. WORKING EFFORTS! WE GOT THIS!!

This is a great idea. I too started making changes to prepare for life after surgery. I wouldn't say to the same as your dedication but changes none the less. In the beginning of my process I had to meet with a dietician who gave me a set allowed daily calorie count. I have stuck with those calries every day since, only going over 4 times in 6 months. Which is more than I would like, but I can say they were all times I had alcohol. Just goes to show how much drinking calories adds to your intake. I have also been trying to sip water rather than chug it which is SO HARD for me. I drink more than enough but I tend to chug it randomly, rather than sip it regularly all day. Been back to tracking everything I eat since that 1st dietician apt. also. I have never really been a "calorie drinker" other than occasionally alcohol. I do drink diet soda, so I have also been cutting down from that too. Drinking during meals is a BIG thing for me, so I have been working on that the most. I easily drink 20-40 OZ of water WITH my meals. I don't even know how people eat without drinking but I am learning/trying. I have to think about it, and I am down to usually just 8-10 OZ during meals now. WORKING EFFORTS! WE GOT THIS!!
I have to consciously think about the water with meals. It just makes sense to me and it was hard during the diet trials to wrap my brain around. Also the chugging. I drink out of the 4oz containers to help, but it’s rough. Really the water situation is the only thing that worries me because I just love crushing massive amounts. And the drinking calories, it’s mainly kombuchas and the occasional (twice a week) mudslides. But I stopped those for now, which I know is part of my not feeling normal trigger. But I know (hope) it’ll pass. And you’re right…WE GOT THIS!

I feel my biggest revelation was the concept of feeling “normal”. Kept thinking normal people don’t have to do this, normal people can do XYZ. That’s my trigger, not feeling like I’m like everyone else and that I don’t belong. Those thoughts kept driving the desire to keep eating. Intellectually I know there is no “normal”, “everyone”, and the like. It’s my depression trying to take the wheel again, and it’s sidekick anxiety can’t help itself, and loves chiming in. I’m jotting all this for therapy so that we can really break this cycle down. You would think the weight loss would be motivating, but I also fear success and know self sabotage will try to hitch a ride really soon. I just want to scream. Will take it easy though. Baby steps.

I love how you describe the way your mind just is trying to find a way around your positive eating behavior changes - I feel like there is another person inside my head sometimes - they are so tricky, and there is nothing they won't do to get their way and have whatever food they want at the moment. And they are fucking relentless. And smart. And they know me so well. Totally can't trust them and have to be alert for their ploys.

Hey all,
So it’s been a week since I decided to adopt the post-op way of eating and prepping while I wait for my surgery date due to COVID. It has been eye opening. Yes, I have the option to stop because I don’t have the surgical tool in place to assist with restrictions, but that defeats the purpose. I set a time starting at 5a for water reminder that goes off every 45 mins, but at 6:15a 9:15 12:15 3:15 and 6:15p (200 cal each meal because I’m told 1000 cal for now) a reminder for meals set for 15 mins allows for slow eating and syncs back with water timer 30 mins after (there’s one for 30 mins before to stop water to comply with drink recommendation). Last water reminder at 8:30p. Had spin classes (2), personal training (2), and dedicated walking mileage of 22 total miles at the end of this first week. I lost 11.6 lbs, got in 92 oz of water, 58 grams of protein. Notes: need to slow down eating. First day finished in 3 mins. Yesterday 11 mins. Occupy the mind. Every moment I felt like I was concentrating on when I could eat again. Day 4 I nearly ordered delivery because I felt I wanted to “feel normal”. But I can’t do that after surgery and the point of the whole process is to be healthy and establish I better relationship with nutrition. Also I need to eat protein first. I’m still a mixer.

Kudos to all that you are doing now to get ready. I can so relate to those feelings of wanting to be "normal". Thank you for sharing these feelings as it hits home with me bigtime. Sometime I think I fear success too. Strange, isn't it? I feel like I self-sabotage myself. :confused:

I also had and sometimes still have, this feeling that "normal" people don't have to do this or work this hard. But that's not necessarily true, at least post op. I've said previously that I told everyone about my surgery. One upside of that is people discuss their eating habits with you, even if they're trying to tell you how you can do it 'naturally'.

It turns out that most people keep a pretty close eye on their weight and intake. "Normal" people make changes to their diet when their "pants get tight". Lower their carbs, watch calories, skip the weekly dinner or drinks out, hit the gym harder etc. Until the pants fit normal again or whatever their trigger is.

So, don't feel that watching what you eat is not normal. What isn't normal (at least for adults) is being able to eat anything you want and never gaining an ounce. They don't allow it to get out of control but they're still aware of food and think about food choices.

Back