• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 week post op and tired and sad

Comets Mom

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here just had a sleeve gastrectomy Thursday the 23rd. Lots of vomiting and nausea for the first four or five days, went to urgent Care got rehydrated different pain meds now I'm off pain meds not vomiting anymore but I am exhausted. I can barely stay awake anything I can get in is immediately dumping out and I just want to know how much longer this is going to last I feel terrible. Thanks for letting me vent

BUT... don't tough it out. Call the doctor, even more than once a day, and detail your problems so s/he can offer you some alternatives.

I had a full open procedure in 2007 when none of the sleeve and other quickie and small-scar surgeries existed. He made a deep 7" incision from my navel to my sternum and also took the gallbladder. I stayed in the hospital 3 days. The doc prescribed cherry-flavored liquid codeine. I pretty much slept for two or three days, assisted by my roommate when I needed to get out of bed, then took a swig of the painkiller and went back to sleep. This sort of recovery is not recommended today, but it worked really well for me. I had great aftercare, and was recruited for a 7-year University of Washington Medical School study and my case was documented in the national RYGB research results. A big plus was the UW put me up in a delux hotel and ran tests on me for two days. One of the nurses got bottles of chewables and gave them to me. They were pretty bad, way overflavored.

the many people like me who participated in one or more studies really promulgated the entire science of bariatric surgery, including movement and diet. we also had a support group, but sitting there postop was like being a freak in a zoo. the pre-op crowd sat mouths agape, staring at us. Dunno what they were looking at, since we didn't bring "before" pix.

there's a lot more to this transformation than we might know when we're getting ready to sign up. that's why this group is so awesome.

I am usually pretty badass, but I feel like this has totally thrown me for a loop. I know that it will get better, it's just so so frustrating for me to not be better immediately LOL. I think I'm getting enough liquids in, and I see The dietitian tomorrow I'll talk to them.
And ty for being a guinea for us!!!!!!!! You helped make millions of lives better!!!!! That's certainly awesome!

Back