• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 week shy of 4 months post op

Ange6012

Good morning All,
I just popped on to hopefully hear how everyone is doing.
I am one week shy of 4 months post op, down 40lbs, nothing is tightening as my excercise is nonexistent with my knee and ankle pain. Looking forward to those surgeries in Nov and Feb. But I'm praying the weighloss will help in recovery.
Many nonscale victories with clothes lol. It feels good. People who haven't seen me are shocked when they do.
I'm very open about my journey so there are many questions.
I have a wedding to go to at the end of the month so I am waiting as long as possible before buying anything.

How are you all doing? If anyone is struggling speak up, we are here for support. This is not an easy journey at all, it's not tge easy way out as people think. I have had many struggles and still struggle with things but we figure them out. Many changes to our bodies internally etc.

Tracking right with you! I had another post op visit yesterday. They said they like to see their patients down 30% of their excess weight by this visit and I was right at 30%, 40 pounds since surgery. I asked what the next goal is in 3 months and they said they like to see 50-60% of excess weight loss by that appointment. That feels a little daunting of another 25-35 pounds in the next 3 months, but it gives me a goal to shoot for! It's not melting off so I'll keep headed in this direction and do my best. I think I need to break that down to smaller goals. If I can keep up about a 2 pound loss per week, in 12 weeks, I should be about the additional 25 pound mark. Some weeks it's been 0 or 1 pound so.... The only real issue I had to discuss with them is some intestinal/bowel issues. The PA and the dietician think I have developed lactose intolerance. They suggested an elimination diet of lactose containing foods for 2 weeks and then slowly re-introduce to see what impact there is. In the meantime, I need to change protein shakes, they suggested Fairlife or isolate protein powders. I had been eating dairy proteins every day as I like Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I need to investigate lactose free options that I know are out there. Plus the dietician said that the Greek yogurts and cheeses aren't as hard on the digestion as some milk products as they are fermented. The protein shake I was drinking, Premier Protein, is milk-based. That could be the crux of my issue, so I'll see how changing it up goes. Ange, you will love dressing up for the wedding! My profile pic is from one we went to in July and I felt really good, got a new dress, and received so many compliments! Although, some people just thought they loved my hair or the color dress, not realizing I was a new version of my old self! But, I knew! And I soaked up feeling better about myself!

Tracking right with you! I had another post op visit yesterday. They said they like to see their patients down 30% of their excess weight by this visit and I was right at 30%, 40 pounds since surgery. I asked what the next goal is in 3 months and they said they like to see 50-60% of excess weight loss by that appointment. That feels a little daunting of another 25-35 pounds in the next 3 months, but it gives me a goal to shoot for! It's not melting off so I'll keep headed in this direction and do my best. I think I need to break that down to smaller goals. If I can keep up about a 2 pound loss per week, in 12 weeks, I should be about the additional 25 pound mark. Some weeks it's been 0 or 1 pound so.... The only real issue I had to discuss with them is some intestinal/bowel issues. The PA and the dietician think I have developed lactose intolerance. They suggested an elimination diet of lactose containing foods for 2 weeks and then slowly re-introduce to see what impact there is. In the meantime, I need to change protein shakes, they suggested Fairlife or isolate protein powders. I had been eating dairy proteins every day as I like Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I need to investigate lactose free options that I know are out there. Plus the dietician said that the Greek yogurts and cheeses aren't as hard on the digestion as some milk products as they are fermented. The protein shake I was drinking, Premier Protein, is milk-based. That could be the crux of my issue, so I'll see how changing it up goes. Ange, you will love dressing up for the wedding! My profile pic is from one we went to in July and I felt really good, got a new dress, and received so many compliments! Although, some people just thought they loved my hair or the color dress, not realizing I was a new version of my old self! But, I knew! And I soaked up feeling better about myself!
I'm only 8 weeks out post surgery. Twice now I've had "digestive issues". I've been given anti-biotics both times and that cleared it up. For me, I developed SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). which apparently will be an ongoing issue now. Taking pro/prebiotics is going to be real important now. (I was already taking them, but had been neglecting it lately). I have also been told to back off the dairy for a week and see if it makes a difference. Being sick has slowed down my journey, but I'm determined to not let it totally mess things up.

I'm only 8 weeks out post surgery. Twice now I've had "digestive issues". I've been given anti-biotics both times and that cleared it up. For me, I developed SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). which apparently will be an ongoing issue now. Taking pro/prebiotics is going to be real important now. (I was already taking them, but had been neglecting it lately). I have also been told to back off the dairy for a week and see if it makes a difference. Being sick has slowed down my journey, but I'm determined to not let it totally mess things up.
Hoping you will not have anymore issues and your journey will be more smooth sailing

Hello, all! Updating on this thread as it related to my potential development of lactose intolerance post-op. I believe that to be the case. I changed my protein shakes to Fairlife (lactose-free) and some protein isolate powders, along with eliminating some higher lactose foods/drinks. My digestive track seems to be working much better. I seem to be able to have small amounts of cheese and yogurt without issue, though I've been trying different lactose free yogurts, too. I have to keep paying attention. I had a creamy soup last week and boom! straight to the bothersome symptoms. It hadn't crossed my mind about the dairy in the creamy soup, and it should have. It will now! Weight loss is slow and steady, but I'm okay with how it's going. I'm about 4 1/2 months post op now, down 48 pounds since surgery 5/18/22 and 58 pounds since January when I started the process. I have cleaned out 3 big bags of clothing that I don't plan to fit into again! I have dropped some off with a friend to sort through for anything she wants as we have similar tastes in clothing before taking the rest to a Women's shelter. I have a decent amount of clothing I can still wear even at a smaller size because the fabric was apparently more forgiving when I was several sizes larger. I've also purchased a few new staple items to help get through this next season of fall/winter. I've noticed that I like to wear clothing that fits better rather than hides me! I'm exercising 4-5 times per week at the YMCA pool, my favorite is still aqua zumba. Have a great day, everyone!

Back