• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 year check-up

JudyNY

Today I had my one year follow-up. I was rather nervous about it but that was pretty silly of me as it went well. Reason being, I was worried about the umbilical hernia that I have, as it seems to have gotten bigger or maybe because I've lost weight it just looks bigger. He fixed another hernia during VSG but this one he left alone. He said I don't need to do anything with it unless it bothers me. I certainly don't want to jump back into surgery if I don't have to, so that made me very relieved. Last year's surgery turned into a big ordeal for me as I developed sepsis, had to have a second surgery to clean out the infection and then I had internal bleeding followed by severe edema, 40 lbs worth! So you can see why I get terrified if I have to do anymore surgery. I hope that my hernia behaves itself and doesn't cause any issues in the future.

My labs showed I was low in vitamin C and iron, even though I take an Iron supplement but I've had problems with low iron all my life. My TSH was off but my endocrinologist is running an extensive panel next week. It's possible that I'm where I should be anyway because thyroid cancer patients are kept at a different TSH level. But everything else is excellent.

The surgeon I have is such a fast talker. Good thing I went in there with my questions in hand. But just for the record, he doesn't have any problem with fruit (we've had previous discussions in this group where some docs say no fruit) and counting decaf coffee is fine for water goals but not caffeinated as I suspected. Protein he wants me to keep it where it is 70-80. Exercise he said to do is more that I am doing, but in my opinion I am doing so much more than before. I will try to increase it some but I'm not worried about going crazy over it. I'm not a spring chicken after all!! :rolleyes:

One of the things he emphasized was to be in support groups as it has been proven that people are more successful when they do. I said I have that covered. I have a great group!! So, thank you all!! :)

After my appointment with my surgeon I had my regular PCP check-up and he was very pleased as well. My PCP is great at taking his time, so anything I wasn't totally clear on, he helped me figure it out. I am even lowering my Paxil which I take for panic attacks because that is a weight gainer. Got my shingles vaccine as I had the old one before and this one was recommended. Sore arm, but not as sore as the Covid vaccine. Next up is a bone density test which I should have had 2 years ago but too much was going on at the time.

Feeling grateful I've gotten to my one-year mark, especially since I had a rough start of it. Feeling wonderful and so glad I took this step. Now to phase 2 of my journey, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do in year two!! I know it will be more of a challenge but I am ready!

Congrats on your 1 year surgiversary! It flew by didn't it? I am so glad to hear you are doing well and that they are doing a thorough check for those things that aren't perfect. You should be so proud of yourself. And I'm glad that he talked up a support group. I think everyone should have one. It has made a huge difference for me too.

Back