• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

10 days post op

AndreaK

I can't believe I am feeling so well. When I got home the Dr. said I could eat creamy things, protein shakes, cream soups, greek yogurt and sugar free pudding and jello. I even put my protein shake power in my instant pudding. I'm getting a little bored with these foods but I will be going on to the puree stage on Thursday. Looking forward to that. I've been walking 10 minutes twice a day. Here is FL it's pretty flat for that makes it easier. I really hate walking but that was one of the goals of having the surgery was to be able to walk more and faster. I lost 18 lbs the month prior to surgery and now I'm down 30 today.. Celebrating!! They released me from the hospital taking no meds, diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol. I have been checking my sugar and blood pressure and I am doing well.

I still have some soreness in my stomach and the being in the hospital was not picnic. Problems with my oxygen levels and hallucinations from pain meds.. too many bells ringing all night and nurses stopping in to check on me. I was very glad to go home.

I hope everyone else that had surgery about the same time as me is well on the road to recovery also.

Thanks for all the support from the group pre-op it helped very much.

Alright sounds like your doing great which is good to hear.... :)

Which hospital did you have your surgery in..

I live in Central Florida and will have my done at Celebration.

I'm so jealous....I'm ten days post op as well and I can only do the water and protein shakes. It is really making me sick and I have a nasty taste in my always.The paperwork I was sent home with said I can only do water,protein shakes & protein soups. I finally found protein soup online to add variety to my diet through the day.I wonder why my doc hasn't approved me for more things like that yet?

Monalisa, my Dr. prescribes to the same diet as your surgeon. I am wondering if it changes the outcome, decreases the chance for leaks, irritation or what the thought is on the restrictive liquids only diet post operatively.
That's another question on my list to ask on Wednesday. I am curious.

I am 14 days post op now. Doing great. Yes, a little soreness in belly still but not much.

I am on to pureed foods too. Down 29 pounds. This includes preop as well as post op. I am challenged to get 1000 calories a day.

Never hungry. So I am happy. I am learning to treat food as a fuel not a pleasure. This will be a major mind shift: going from "living to eat' to "eat to live".

This is not to say that in the future you cannot enjoy an occasional nice meal with friends or spouse or whatever.

However, it appears my entrees will be forever small compared to my former awful habits. I am actually enjoying food more. I thoroughly chew and enjoy.

Ralph

I'm so jealous....I'm ten days post op as well and I can only do the water and protein shakes. It is really making me sick and I have a nasty taste in my always.The paperwork I was sent home with said I can only do water,protein shakes & protein soups. I finally found protein soup online to add variety to my diet through the day.I wonder why my doc hasn't approved me for more things like that yet?
Each doctor and each program is so different. My doctor wanted me on clear liquids plus protein shakes for a full month after surgery. I called and begged for something else, and they let me add yogurt and cottage cheese between week 3 and 4.

Day 2 to 6 was pure clear liquids. So I drank a lot of Isopure grape. Not all that bad.

Day 7 to 14 was full liquids, including things such as protein shakes ( I like Premier Vanilla), glucerna, apple juice, water, "blenderized veggie soup no cream, etc.

Now day 14 to 21 is pureed foods. I am doing hard boiled egg for a meal. I have also made up a tuna salad meal consisting of eggs and tuna fish in water, light mayo, celery and onions.

I will progress to solid foods at end of week 3.

Drinking apple juice instead of water if for nothing else to get some calorie intake. My last several days are still under 1000 calories in a day.

The short term objective once on food is 1200 calories per day.

I am getting out for short walks. I am still not allowed to walk up hills. That will change at the one month post op point.

Hope I have helped.

Dancinbr you are giving us very good post-op info. Sounds like things are coming along well for you. That's awesome.

Hi Andrea, great to hear you are doing so well. I too have had few problems and started the bowflex, flat, for 5-10 2 times a day. Have been able to do mashed potatoes and a little gravy for evening meal. Also doing GNC lean shake and 1 adkins advantage drink daily, total of 40 protein. Then i make up the fluids with water and Zero vitamin water. I keep a bottle of water with a pull cap by my bed at night so I wont get so dried out overnight. Go back the 21st for 2 week checkup. Have not been sick on my stomach or throwing up since I got out of hospital. Should be able to add some lite meat items in a week or so, looking forward to that. Went to local group meeting yesterday, got a lot of helpful tidbits from others who are at different stages of their surgery. Dietitian gave a list of ideas to get us through the Thanksgiving holiday meals. Have lost 9lbs since morning of surgery. Had to go back on both insulins, but no pills. Not very hungry so far. The thing i miss the most is the bread items. I was a big bread eater before, subs, biscuits, garlic bread with everything. I decided to get all my stuff ready made so I wont be snacking while cooking. Going to get the stuff I liked the least, wont be so tempted. Good luck to everyone through Thanksgiving.

I am going to open another thread here about how to drink liquids too.

Hopefully, we can get folks to chime in on this topic.

Ralph

Hi Blue, just a suggestion, one thing I have found is using a pressure cooker to cook my chicken, beef, pork, etc keeps it very moist and makes for better and easier swallowing.

Dancinbr you are giving us very good post-op info. Sounds like things are coming along well for you. That's awesome.

Yes, and I am very happy about all of it.

Thank you.

We are here to support and encourage each other as we progress down the path of our first year post op bariatric surgery.

We will all need to get all of this down real good and turn it into habits.

We will all need to support each other when we have a setback and I am sure we will all experience that too.

However, we will move forward and strive to continue to reach our goal weight.

Right now, many of us are in the "religion phase" of our new program. We got religion. We will do everything precisely as directed. That will wear off as it has done in so many othe diet attempts prior to this surgery.

However, we also have a great new tool not matched by any prior experience.

Ralph

Back