• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

12 Days until Surgery

Debbie S

Hello everyone. Yesterday I went to my Pre-Op Class, Met up with the doctor again, saw the Dietician, Had labs drawn, chest X-ray done, and finally signed all the necessary documents for my procedure. :D

Surgeries are set. On May 1st I get my Cava Filter placed in my neck since I am at high risk due to my Lymphedema and Pulmonary Hypertension. Then 4 days later (May 5) IS my gastric bypass.

I start my liquid diet next week Monday, April 26th (just one day before my 45th birthday).

I am excited to become healthy and thin again.

I do have one question for all my bariatric friends: Those of you who have had a gastric bypass did you end up with an "Open Wound" on your side? I was told by my physician he leaves an open wound for drainage purposes and it will be about 6 inches long. Granted, it will be packed with gauze, but just curious if anyone else had this done and how bad was this? How bad did it hurt? Is it hard to do the dressing changes?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

~Debbie~

Hello everyone. Yesterday I went to my Pre-Op Class, Met up with the doctor again, saw the Dietician, Had labs drawn, chest X-ray done, and finally signed all the necessary documents for my procedure. :D

Surgeries are set. On May 1st I get my Cava Filter placed in my neck since I am at high risk due to my Lymphedema and Pulmonary Hypertension. Then 4 days later (May 5) IS my gastric bypass.

I start my liquid diet next week Monday, April 26th (just one day before my 45th birthday).

I am excited to become healthy and thin again.

I do have one question for all my bariatric friends: Those of you who have had a gastric bypass did you end up with an "Open Wound" on your side? I was told by my physician he leaves an open wound for drainage purposes and it will be about 6 inches long. Granted, it will be packed with gauze, but just curious if anyone else had this done and how bad was this? How bad did it hurt? Is it hard to do the dressing changes?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

~Debbie~

Hi Debbie! I have read that some others have had a drain. My incisions were closed. I had a little piece of tape over my 2 wounds and don't think I saw any stitches at all. My incisions were tiny and I never had a speck of problems with them. Pain was minimal like a 2 out of 10. Of course you want to know about the drain which I can't help you with. Sorry.

Cheyenne :cool:

Back