• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

13 years and counting

Myalnu

I clearly remember the day my doctor told me I wouldn’t live two more years if I continued down the path I was on. After much research and discussion—to say nothing of the testing I went through for insurance purposes, I went the RN-Y route. Day of surgery I was 238. The lowest I got was 113. I have stabilized at 125.

It took about 6 months to get there and I have spent the rest of this time juggling and balancing and sometimes pushing to get through.

I will say, that it was the best decision for me. I wouldn’t do it differently if given the chance, but it is not for the feint of heart. It is not a cop out to do this.

I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis—my T score is -2.9. If you just started this journey, or are still working it—make sure to take the proper vitamins—it’s important. Remember that you don’t absorb nutrients like everyone else. I also had to have my stomach tacked as it twisted about 3 years ago.

I am grateful for the extra time this surgery has given me—I have 2 beautiful grandchildren and I get to enjoy life. I hope to have many more!

Back