• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

14 days since my surgery.

I know one can feel limited on food choices in the beginning but it will get better. I'm guessing you are in the pureed stage or soft food stage? Take your time experimenting with new foods. I pretty much ate the same few lunches/dinners in the beginning and protein shake for breakfast. For me I was recovering from 3 surgeries within 2 weeks (that's another story) and was hospitalized for 3 weeks so my recovery was very slow. I relied on Stouffer's frozen dinners such as meat loaf, salisbury steak, stuffed peppers as it was a nice soft and moist consistency and I would only eat half and save the other half for another meal. I also tolerated scrambled eggs (but not everyone does) and I had tuna or chicken salad ground up fine. As I felt better and got back to cooking I would make sure my proteins were moist and tender - using a crockpot or instant pot helped with that. Good luck and feel better. It will get less confusing as you recover and feel more like experimenting with foods.

I had suery on 12/14/2020 and I am entering the 3rd week.

Hi Chris!

Which surgery did you have? Sleeve, Bypass or Switch?

I'd say that a lot of the post-op stages are different. I had RNY 1/22/2020 and was on liquid for a week, soft/pureed a week - then on to somewhat solids - shortly there after.

If you're in pain and you're almost 3 weeks post - contact your surgeon/surgical team. They should be able to address your pain and get you eating the right foods for where you are now process.

Have you been eating the type of foods they want you to eat? Are you eating the recommended amount of foods they want you to eat?

Reach out to your surgical team - they can help!

Some pain a couple weeks out isn't unusual. Stay in close contact with your bariatric medical team about it. Food choices are really limited during these first few weeks and it can get frustrating. I resigned myself to essentially making the same few choices every day until I got to the "regular" food stage, then I started to branch out my choices and really diversify what I was eating. I started doing that in the 6-8 week timeframe. I didn't rush a bunch of new foods, but I slowly expanded from what I had been limiting myself too during the first six weeks.

I know there are times during the first 1-6 weeks where things can seem frustrating, confusing, limited, and sometimes just wrong. Stick with it. Don't sweat too much over trying to make the puree and soft food periods that interesting food wise, they are but a very tiny part of the journey and will be over soon. I know that it can seem like a long time though.

Once you get into the regular food stage, start adding in things a bit at a time and see how you react to each new food or combinations of food, then you can start putting together meals that include things you know that you tolerate well. Over time, your food list will expand and you'll have many options to choose from that will be healthy and satisfying. It can take a while to get there, though, and that's okay. It's a great opportunity to build an entirely new relationship with food and create new habits that will help you maintain your success after you've met your goals.

Back