• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

15+ years and Having G.I. issues big time.

I'm 16 years post-op and 72 years old. I've been with this group for almost that long. I'm always available to share what I know, as far as that goes. We aren't medical experts here but we are a good resource for people curious about what they might experience if they have surgery, or bounce problems off if they've had it & are feel things aren't quite right. If we can't help by sharing, we'll refer people back to their surgeons, or to their doctors, which is really anyone's best line of defense. It often happens that you expect one thing and get something different.

But I don't share outside the group. I just don't have the time, and if I'm going to share something that might have value, I'd rather just share it one time in front of all our members. This is how we talk in these threads, too, starting with the first post then others adding on and on and on for pages and pages.

If you're interested and new, I suggest you go up to the righthand corner to the search box and type in a topic like "vomiting" or "water" or "no appetite," anything related to eating and digesting along with surgery. You will probably find a lot of great posts.

welcome to the group.

Any Old Timers here? I am 76. I would love to talk to someone who has had their surgery 10+ and also be a support for the newbies.
Hi, I am Ruth from Las Vegas. I'm turning 69 in Nov. I had my surgery in Aug 2006, so 17 years ago. My highest weight was 296 and in the 1st year post op I went down to 163. I maintained that weight + or - 5 lbs, for a few years then went up to between 180 & 190 and have stayed there until pretty recently. I was completely happy with the results even when I regained those pounds. I never had any big problems post surgery, dumping, etc. Now, all of the sudden, I have started having some gastro intestinal problems. I have seen a couple of Drs, had all kinds of diagnostic tests, but everything comes back normal. In the meantime, I am back to only being able to eat about 4 oz of food at a meal. I have to eat very slowly and chew my food until it is just mush. Even then, I frequently get the "foamies" and end up vomitting. I have lots of gas. The good news is I am back down to the 170 range, but it's not fun having to excuse myself to the bathroom after nearly every meal. Anyone else experience complications so many years post op?

I'm just going by instinct here and I'm sure there's a better way. Keep seeing doctors. You can't imagine how many things can be attributable to RYgB. LOT OF doctors are picking up new stuff every second. Be examined over and over many different interns Make sure they put you through a CTscanner. You're not at square one. You're in line to get to square one.

Get everything in writing and bring those document to each appointment. Its obvious something is evolving.

Last edited:
l
Hi, I am Ruth from Las Vegas. I'm turning 69 in Nov. I had my surgery in Aug 2006, so 17 years ago. My highest weight was 296 and in the 1st year post op I went down to 163. I maintained that weight + or - 5 lbs, for a few years then went up to between 180 & 190 and have stayed there until pretty recently. I was completely happy with the results even when I regained those pounds. I never had any big problems post surgery, dumping, etc. Now, all of the sudden, I have started having some gastro intestinal problems. I have seen a couple of Drs, had all kinds of diagnostic tests, but everything comes back normal. In the meantime, I am back to only being able to eat about 4 oz of food at a meal. I have to eat very slowly and chew my food until it is just mush. Even then, I frequently get the "foamies" and end up vomitting. I have lots of gas. The good news is I am back down to the 170 range, but it's not fun having to excuse myself to the bathroom after nearly every meal. Anyone else experience complications so many years post op?
Following

Back