• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

15 Years Post-Op Pouch Size

I had Roux-en-Y in 2005. I can't find any info on how to tell if my pouch as stretched out and if it even matters if I'm keeping the weight off. Today I ate a 12 ounce Ribeye, 3 asparagus spears, nothing to drink. That seems like normal amount of food for anyone, not someone with a small stomach. My current weight is 135.

Last edited:
I had Roux-en-Y in 2005. I can't find any info on how to tell if my pouch as stretched out and if it even matters if I'm keeping the weight off. Today I ate a 12 ounce Ribeye, 3 asparagus spears, nothing to drink. That seems like normal amount of food for anyone, not someone with a small stomach. My current weight is 135.
Wow that's great that you only weigh 135!!!!! Sounds like youre doing everything right if youve kept the weight off this long! Great job!

That does seem like a lot of food, but I have found that my "capacity" fluxuates. This can vary from day to day (some days my stomach is just not having it) or based on what the meal consists of. For example, if I am eating a burger patty, I can rarely get thru even half. But if I am eating a very tender steak, I can eat quite a bit. Chicken - rarely can get much down. Fish - much easier to eat. That said, your body will tell you if you are eating too much and your weight will creep up. If you are concerned about the volume, I would spend a few weeks going to back to weighing/measuring to be sure of what you are consuming over a period of time.

Your pouch isn't going to stretch without shrinking. I was super-scared it would happen to me. I had my surgeon check it out with a barium scan. No stretching. Your body has adapted to your new digestive system. You'd have to work really hard to reverse the course.

new to this group. Had gastric bypass 06. HW 301 LW 138 cw 177.
I’m eating in large volumes to a of foods I hadn’t eaten before. I eat processed sugars with no dumping which I always had before. There used to be an automatic STOP that my brain would have and that’s no longer. Super scared. Surgeon is ordering test to check the pouch and I e requested revision. I need help. Anyone out there relate. Doc has me on a weight loss diet of 650-700 per day ca not impossible but I self sabotage.

Back