• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

17 lbs down

ShrinkyDink

I'm on my 4th day of the preop full liquid diet. I have been eating (haha) 1000 calories, sugar free, and 60 grams of protein. I have already lost 17lbs. Is this normal? I know its all fluid. I have practically been living in the bathroom. I'm just amazed! BTW.... Campbell's cream of bacon soup may sound like a good idea, but don't do it. It was horrible!!!

Dinky (that's the I'm going to call you from now on because you're going to be think he pretty soon), you did not lose 17 lb of water. You lost a few pounds of water and a hold bunch of fat waste, which is the liquid by product of fat melting. Some people described it as ashes in some kind of fluid. But believe me, you weren't peeing protein and you can't possibly have drunk enough water to pee out 17 lb of it. Now our dear resident RN may want to correct me and that is fine if she does. This is just country wisdom that I have had since I began researching my diet and state of health.

Yes it is normal, but it is also normal to stop and slow down without even trying. Your biggest weight loss will always come at the beginning of a drastic change in diet. After that it slows down and sometimes it stops for a while. Enjoy it while you can because you are not going to lose 17 more pounds in another week or so.

Dinky (that's the I'm going to call you from now on because you're going to be think he pretty soon), you did not lose 17 lb of water. You lost a few pounds of water and a hold bunch of fat waste, which is the liquid by product of fat melting. Some people described it as ashes in some kind of fluid. But believe me, you weren't peeing protein and you can't possibly have drunk enough water to pee out 17 lb of it. Now our dear resident RN may want to correct me and that is fine if she does. This is just country wisdom that I have had since I began researching my diet and state of health.

Yes it is normal, but it is also normal to stop and slow down without even trying. Your biggest weight loss will always come at the beginning of a drastic change in diet. After that it slows down and sometimes it stops for a while. Enjoy it while you can because you are not going to lose 17 more pounds in another week or so.
Yep! I had the same thought On the weight loss slowing down. I’ve read stories of people’s experiences where they lost a huge amount of weight before surgery, then after surgery they stalled quickly. I’m praying I’m not going to be one of those people. Thank you for the words of wisdom!

Yes it is normal, but it is also normal to stop and slow down without even trying.
Diane is totally right. I'm 5 months post-op and my weekly loss varies significantly despite following the exact same plan. The body just does what it needs to that week and I've learned to accept this and know I'm making great progress overall. As a reference, here's my log from the last 8 weeks:

DateWeekly Loss
6/284.2
7/53.2
7/122.0
7/194.4
7/262.4
8/21.6
8/94.8
8/161.0

How was your day today? Any weight loss how are you doing on your pre-op
Today is day 5 & I am holding steady at 17lbs lost. I have noticed my clothes are getting looser on me. I think my body is shrinking to match the weight loss (that’s my theory on what plateaus are). I may lose a few more pounds. I’m still shocked over losing 17lbs so fast! Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!!

Back