• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

17 weeks post-op and struggling

WVGinger

I had my three month sleeve surgery follow up with my surgeon in the middle of October, I thought I was doing okay, but he was not happy. I had not lost enough weight. I thought that I was on Phase 4 and that I was following the Phase 4 diet; I was trying to make sure that I didn't eat more than 3 ounces per meal. I ate a 1oz cheese stick for breakfast, no more than 3 ounces for lunch, no more than 3 ounces around 4:00 and no more than 3 ounces around 7:00 or 8:00. I drank at least one 30g protein shake, and I also drank 64 ounces of water each day. My doctor said I should be getting my nutrients from protein shakes and that my meals should only consist of one bite, no more than one bite. How much is one bite anyway? Is that 1 oz, 2 oz. I can imagine that everyone's bite is different. How many calories should a person after a gastric sleeve operation consume (said person leads a sedentary lifestyle & is me)? At that October appointment, I had only lost 38.5 lbs., but to my defense I had been losing weight before surgery (July 2020 = 385 lbs /October 14, 2021 = 286 lbs) and my body just doesn't want to let go. I am trying to only eat one bite or no more than 1 oz and I am down to 272, but it is a struggle - especially when my husband eats all the time - or it seems like he eats all the time. I am not able to exercise as my knees have 0 cartilage; it is my hope to lose enough weight to have knee replacement surgery some day. Anyway, previous question, How many calories should I be consuming 17 weeks after sleeve surgery? and How much is 1 bite?

I usually say to follow your doctors advice but WTF is he talking about one bite?? Sorry, ok. So I don’t understand. First, it sounds like you’re losing weight just fine. Everyone loses at different rates. Second, I don’t know any doctor that actually pushes protein shakes over reintroducing real food. They might advise it for support and supplementing, but not as a continued substitute. I still drink one almost daily because I need the extra protein- I can get about 60grams through food on most days, but my NP suggested I aim for 80 since my energy was still low at 6 months.
If you aren’t consuming enough calories you won’t lose weight. At a little over 4 months I figured you should be around 600-800 calories a day, but I could be wrong. Here is the bariatric guide from my surgery center. It might help answer some of your questions if your surgery center doesn't. https://www.ssmhealth.com/SSMHealth...ospital/STL-WMS/bariatric-nutrition-guide.pdf

I second that - one bite??? That’s just strange and like you said, subjective. And one bite of what? Also typically you are not supposed to eat and drink at the same time so when would the “one bite” happen? My surgeon was great but he was not a nutritionist - he said that’s why he had one on staff. I would suggest you reach out to your nutritionist for some clarification and examples of what a day should look like.

That does sound a bit strange, to eat one bite of real food only. And completely relying on protein shakes this far into the process is a bit head scratching. Especially bc you had the sleeve which means you didn't have your intestinal track affected by the surgery.

BTW congratulations on your incredibly successful 100 lb total and almost 40 lb recent weight loss. You have done an AMAZING job so far. Hope you can find out more from your nutritionist.

Are you also a WV person? If so, you are living in the same "almost heaven"ly state as I am. Woohoo! Mountain Mamas rock!

I second that - one bite??? That’s just strange and like you said, subjective. And one bite of what? Also typically you are not supposed to eat and drink at the same time so when would the “one bite” happen? My surgeon was great but he was not a nutritionist - he said that’s why he had one on staff. I would suggest you reach out to your nutritionist for some clarification and examples of what a day should look like.
I think I need to reach out to the nutritionist and clarify the "one bite". From what I understood, I can eat anything as long as it is just "one bite". I still wait 30 minutes after whatever I eat (1oz,etc.) before I drink.

That does sound a bit strange, to eat one bite of real food only. And completely relying on protein shakes this far into the process is a bit head scratching. Especially bc you had the sleeve which means you didn't have your intestinal track affected by the surgery.

BTW congratulations on your incredibly successful 100 lb total and almost 40 lb recent weight loss. You have done an AMAZING job so far. Hope you can find out more from your nutritionist.

Are you also a WV person? If so, you are living in the same "almost heaven"ly state as I am. Woohoo! Mountain Mamas rock!

I am a WV person! :cool: I will definitely contact my nutritionist. & Thank you!

I usually say to follow your doctors advice but WTF is he talking about one bite?? Sorry, ok. So I don’t understand. First, it sounds like you’re losing weight just fine. Everyone loses at different rates. Second, I don’t know any doctor that actually pushes protein shakes over reintroducing real food. They might advise it for support and supplementing, but not as a continued substitute. I still drink one almost daily because I need the extra protein- I can get about 60grams through food on most days, but my NP suggested I aim for 80 since my energy was still low at 6 months.
If you aren’t consuming enough calories you won’t lose weight. At a little over 4 months I figured you should be around 600-800 calories a day, but I could be wrong. Here is the bariatric guide from my surgery center. It might help answer some of your questions if your surgery center doesn't. https://www.ssmhealth.com/SSMHealth...ospital/STL-WMS/bariatric-nutrition-guide.pdf
Thank you so much for sharing! This is a wonderful resource. Much clearer than the packets provided by my doctor. I plan to try for 600 calories a day and see what happens. I know when I did a weightloss program, if I didn't eat my points, I didn't lose weight. Hopefully 600 will be the magic number.

I agree with everyone that you need to find a second opinion or even another doctor. i've never heard such crap come out of a doctor's mouth. The surgery is only a tool; the post-op eating guidelines are what change your life. Most doctors and partnered nutritionists have a very specific, protein rich, staged diet. You're way past that point but it doesn't sound like you were ever on one.

Here's mine: my post-op nutritional plan

I had my surgery many years ago and followed a specific eating plan & guidelines. I lost 115 pounds in 14 months and still build my menu based on the nutritional suggestions I received post-op.

In all the years I've been here with hundreds of people passing through & sharing knowledge, I've never heard a story like yours.

You need to see another doctor and nutritionist right away. Delaying could cause you all kinds of harm. your body isn't functioning correctly because it can't figure out whether or not it should be burning calories or storing them. And that's not even as confusing as your questionable vitamins & minerals content.

and if your story is accurate, i'd be talking to a lawyer, too.

That's just crazy!!! I agree with everyone else that this is the weirdest one I've ever heard and certainly doesn't sound like a healthy way to go. I'm glad you are reaching out to your nutritionist. Let us know how you make out.

There is a bariatric surgeon that is extremely knowledgeable in bariatric nutrition (Which isn't the norm!) and has many great YouTube videos for all stages of post-bariatric surgery. Check him out at Dr. Matthew Weiner.

Not that you need anyone else to confirm this, but that advice from your doctor is complete BS. I'd look for another resource. If the nutritionist works with the doctor, she may be required to adhere to his guidelines, which are crap, but if she is independent, then hopefully she can give you some reasonable guidance.

Natural, whole foods. Ditch the protein shakes except for any amount you need to meet your protein requirements, but try to get them from whole food sources. The goal should be to transition to a healthy diet that you enjoy and can maintain for life to protect the weight loss that you are going to achieve. You shouldn't have to slog through a bunch of protein shakes and only have a bite of real food. Hopefully, your nutritionist will provide some good guidance.

I had my three month sleeve surgery follow up with my surgeon in the middle of October, I thought I was doing okay, but he was not happy. I had not lost enough weight. I thought that I was on Phase 4 and that I was following the Phase 4 diet; I was trying to make sure that I didn't eat more than 3 ounces per meal. I ate a 1oz cheese stick for breakfast, no more than 3 ounces for lunch, no more than 3 ounces around 4:00 and no more than 3 ounces around 7:00 or 8:00. I drank at least one 30g protein shake, and I also drank 64 ounces of water each day. My doctor said I should be getting my nutrients from protein shakes and that my meals should only consist of one bite, no more than one bite. How much is one bite anyway? Is that 1 oz, 2 oz. I can imagine that everyone's bite is different. How many calories should a person after a gastric sleeve operation consume (said person leads a sedentary lifestyle & is me)? At that October appointment, I had only lost 38.5 lbs., but to my defense I had been losing weight before surgery (July 2020 = 385 lbs /October 14, 2021 = 286 lbs) and my body just doesn't want to let go. I am trying to only eat one bite or no more than 1 oz and I am down to 272, but it is a struggle - especially when my husband eats all the time - or it seems like he eats all the time. I am not able to exercise as my knees have 0 cartilage; it is my hope to lose enough weight to have knee replacement surgery some day. Anyway, previous question, How many calories should I be consuming 17 weeks after sleeve surgery? and How much is 1 bite?
I wish I could help but I’ve never weighed or measured anything since my surgery 5 months ago. Might I suggest finding a nutritionist because your doctor is not in this field so his advice is questionable imo.

Back