• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

18 years post op complications

I'm new here, hoping I can get support I need. I had open RNY in 2003 and have had 11 open abdominal surgeries since due to adhesions. I have been off work since January and on liquid diet since March 5th due to pain when eating. I have lost nearly 30lbs and am malnourished to the point that I'm having a feeding tube put in Monday. I have been having a hard time not being able to eat but getting pej tube makes it all so real. Has anyone here had any experience with this I would appreciate any help getting through this. I just want to get back to life

I'm new here, hoping I can get support I need. I had open RNY in 2003 and have had 11 open abdominal surgeries since due to adhesions. I have been off work since January and on liquid diet since March 5th due to pain when eating. I have lost nearly 30lbs and am malnourished to the point that I'm having a feeding tube put in Monday. I have been having a hard time not being able to eat but getting pej tube makes it all so real. Has anyone here had any experience with this I would appreciate any help getting through this. I just want to get back to life
It is my understanding that this surgery can be reversed and one can be returned to normal anatomy. This might be something you would like to consider. I have often considered this myself. Just a thought..

It is my understanding that this surgery can be reversed and one can be returned to normal anatomy. This might be something you would like to consider. I have often considered this myself. Just a thought..
Do you have any more information on a revision? And why were you often considering it yourself if you don't mind me asking. Im Doing all the preop requirments now and am getting as much info as possible, i think my biggest question is what health issues can this cause late on down the road.

I'm surprised they did surgery to remove adhesions as it is surgeries that cause adhesions to form.

After my husband's small bowel obstruction, his abdomdom was full of adhesions and he could not move without pain. He went through months of brutal physical therapy where they literally use their hands to tear adhesions apart. This is a fairly new treatment and there are only a few places in the country who do it, but it is well worth the effort. It gets rid of the adhesions permanently. More surgeries just adds more adhesions.

Where are you located? I'm wondering if you'd be a candidate for this therapy. My husband would be happy to talk to you about it if you'd like. It was a life changer for him.

Adhesions are excruciatingly painful. They make the simplist movements unbearable. But you can get rid of them forever!

Do you have any more information on a revision? And why were you often considering it yourself if you don't mind me asking. Im Doing all the preop requirments now and am getting as much info as possible, i think my biggest question is what health issues can this cause late on down the road.
Honestly, it depends on many things. I'm 18 years out and I haven't hand any issues. My surgeon and pre/post support group was helpful. Ask as many questions and go to the support groups if all possible.

Can't totally reverse an RNY, just the bypass portion is reversable. Then you would have to stretch your stomach out by eating. Not the best option, particularly when you can't eat.
Have you had problems with adhesions and forming scar tissue previously? Hope you feel better

Back