• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

19 years after gastric by pass Please help

Ladyd27

After having surgery 19 years ago and you have already learned your alcohol tolerance if you recently lose 15 pounds after so many years can your alcohol tolerance change again due to the new weight loss?

This is probably not what you asked, but... Be careful with alcohol, we have a greater chance of becoming physically addicted to alcohol and also increased chance of liver and brain damage after our surgery. Physical addiction (withdrawl symptoms when not drinking) happened to me, and I went to treatment with a handful of other Bariatric patients on the same inpatient unit. It's quite common, that's why they tell us to avoid/not to drink alcohol as a part of our postop teaching. I imagine you could become more sensitive to alcohol with new weight loss. I've been sober for 7 years now, 11 years out from Roux N Y.

This is probably not what you asked, but... Be careful with alcohol, we have a greater chance of becoming physically addicted to alcohol and also increased chance of liver and brain damage after our surgery. Physical addiction (withdrawl symptoms when not drinking) happened to me, and I went to treatment with a handful of other Bariatric patients on the same inpatient unit. It's quite common, that's why they tell us to avoid/not to drink alcohol as a part of our postop teaching. I imagine you could become more sensitive to alcohol with new weight loss. I've been sober for 7 years now, 11 years out from Roux N Y.
I still enjoy a drink, but I find that 1 is quite enough. And yes, my tolerance has most definitely been affected!

Back