• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1st Full Day Home!

I came home after 2 nights in the hospital, and today is my first full day home. I am still feeling quite dizzy, weak and abdominal discomfort, but am so happy that I've taken this big step toward a new healthy future. My husband has been trying to "tackle" my 4 yo twins to defend my recovering body, but it's just so hard... they do not understand. Hopefully my body will heal soon enough that we can roll around and give big hugs and play like we always do. I've found that a light waist shapeware (such as Spanx) is providing a little support in my abdomen and making it easier to move around a bit... any bit of comfort right now is welcomed! Just a suggestion... something I didn't see anyone else suggest, but it's helping me out immensely!

Hey there!

Congratulations on beginning your new life! I will be taking the same road in about 4 weeks and I'm so excited! Thanks so much for the Spanx suggestion. My sister had already suggested that I sit with a pillow in my lap to assist with coughing, etc., so I will definately pull on my Spanx. I hope you continue to be comfortable and please let me know of any other tricks you may find. How is your pain? Does walking hurt the most or sitting still? Thanks again for your tips and insight!
- Laurie Ann

Sitting for too long, especially "srunched up" tends to make for a stiff tummy and take a minute to straighten up... I've been told moving around is the best bet. It also helps get the gas in your body moving... the surgery requires gas to be pumped into your body for the procedure, but they cannot get it all out... it has to eventually work it's way out, and other than incision discomfort, it's definitely a tie for "pain" or discomfort. The first night after I came out of recovery, I felt like I could not get enough air in to take a breath because by belly was so distended, but it did subside after a couple of days.

almost two weeks out

I found that the gas was the worse part of recovery. But fortunately it was mostly gone after 4 days. I would lay down on my bed and roll on different sides to get the gas moving around, plus take ten minute walks every couple of hours for exercise.

They sent me home with a stretchy white band that velcros. I'm 9 days out and I still wear it. The discomfort will pass in time, just make sure you take your pain meds on time. Promise it helps.

I was sent home with an abdominal binder, which helped. The getting up and down was what was hard for me - especially getting in an out of bed. Don't forget to take your pain meds as needed. It does get better each day.

Welcome home glad it was a success. Yes the spandex does help alot . The hospital gave me a binder to wear, but i had a 15" incision i still wear a 18 hr. Platex girdle for comfort &support.(also helps with sagging skin)praying for you to have a speedy recovery.donna

Greetings All;

Spandex works to help with support. For gas pains try a heating pad-it worked wonders for me. Walking also helps, walk, walk, walk.
Powerade zero helps. It has electrolytes and good for hydration.
Get those fluids in.

Carol

Back