• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1st post op visit?

Hi KatieBug, welcome to the group. I had VSG and not the bypass so I will let those who have had bypass chime in. I will say though that in the first week or two just concentrate on protein and water intake. It will be hard for you to meet your goals so early after surgery but do your best. And walk as much as you can, it helps get the gas out after surgery. Have you had the surgery yet or is it coming up?

Hi. My first week was clear liquids only. So clear protein water (I recommend Isopure Zero Carb has 40grams of protein in 20oz), water and broth. I did walk some and sleep a lot. That first week is really almost exclusively trying to drink enough water/protein. By visit, I am assuming you mean a doctors visit? It's literally just a quick check to look at your incisions and make sure you're tolerating liquids okay.

I just had my post op visit at 2 1/2 weeks out today. He checked my incisions, asked if im tolerating liquids, and gave me pictures and an illustration of my hiatal hernia and gastric bypass surgery. He was not concerned about my weight and commented some people even gain weight after surgery due to the fluids given via iv’s.

Back