• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 day post introduction

Linda G

hi, I came home from hospital yesterday after having surgery for sleeve. I am concerned about getting liquids in. I have a hard time with 15 minute intervals for drinking and get slightly nauseous after putting anything in mouth, I also slept a lot today and only went on one walk. Can someone let me know how much walking I should be doing, especially in the heat. Thank you

Hi Linda, congratulations on having your surgery! I hope you are having a speedy recovery. About your question on walking after surgery, it is always recommended to speak with your doctor first, however, it is typically recommended to start with light physical exercise (such as walking) as soon as you get home. The sooner you begin to walk, the sooner it will affect your recovery and in some cases, may decrease the length of your recovery. Try beginning with a slow walk for 5-10 minutes once or twice a day. After a few days of doing this, increase your time of walking to 20-30 minutes. If you feel that this is too much for you, you may break up the walking into 5-10 minute cycles. After you reach six weeks post-op, you should be able to do 30 minutes of walking at a relatively quick pace. At this point, you will want to talk with your doctor about increasing your physical activity to include strength training, increasing flexibility, and performing higher endurance exercises. Hope this helps and good luck on your weight loss journey!

Hi Linda, congratulations on having your surgery! I hope you are having a speedy recovery. About your question on walking after surgery, it is always recommended to speak with your doctor first, however, it is typically recommended to start with light physical exercise (such as walking) as soon as you get home. The sooner you begin to walk, the sooner it will affect your recovery and in some cases, may decrease the length of your recovery. Try beginning with a slow walk for 5-10 minutes once or twice a day. After a few days of doing this, increase your time of walking to 20-30 minutes. If you feel that this is too much for you, you may break up the walking into 5-10 minute cycles. After you reach six weeks post-op, you should be able to do 30 minutes of walking at a relatively quick pace. At this point, you will want to talk with your doctor about increasing your physical activity to include strength training, increasing flexibility, and performing higher endurance exercises. Hope this helps and good luck on your weight loss journey!
Thank you for the info. I am happy to say I am walking everyday in my pool and I am close to or at 5000 steps. I am now 3 weeks post -op.

That's great Linda! I'm happy to hear you are doing so well with only being 3 weeks post-op! Keep up the great work and please keep us updated on your recovery :)

Back