• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 month post-op weigh-in

Hi everyone, just wanted to share. Today is my 2 month surgerversary and I'm down 38.6 lbs from that morning in March. Added to my pre-op weight loss, I'm 64.2 lbs lighter.

Here's to kissing those and the next 64 pounds goodbye!!!
Hello Brenda- Congratulations on your tremendous success so far! How are you doing it? I am one week away from my 2 month and I've lost only 35 lb. Are you exercising a lot? Lots of water and protein? I'm weak on all these. What is a typical solid food meal for you? I do 3 meals a day. No snacking. For example, I have an 1.5 ounce slice of turkey deli meat, 2 oz of green vegetable and maybe 2 oz of cottage cheese. Another meal might be a hard boiled egg and a 1/2 cup of diced peaches. I drink about 1 to 2 premier protein drinks a day. I nurse a couple water bottles throughout the day. Share your secret!

Hi Tex - Thank you and congrats right back to you!!! I'm right in your same boat, only down 38.6 lbs from surgery. The 64.2 lb total is adding in my pre-surgery weight loss. I'm sure you lost a good amount prior to surgery as well so remember to add that in, you worked hard to loose it!!!

I think it's natural for most of us to be our own worst enemy when it comes to this battle. A couple weeks in a row I only saw 2 lb losses and was wondering what the hell I was doing wrong. Then this week, my body seemed to catch up and I lost 7. Next time I'm cursing the scale, I'll try to remember that a good week is probably just around the corner.

Your diet sounds perfect & seems like you are getting your protein. I've always been a big water drinker (diet trick from my teens) so fortunately that part is easy to me. I typically do 1 Premier Protein shake in the late morning and then I'm good until dinner. For dinner, I've got two go-to meals since my diet is still pretty restricted:
  • 2 scrambled eggs with salsa and shredded cheddar in them (I hate eggs so I need to mask the flavor and this works well). I make 2 so my plate looks fuller but never finish (probably because of the cheese mixed in).
  • Half of a baked boneless, skinless chicken breast along with a couple tablespoons of green giant broccoli and cheese sauce.
If I'm craving something sweet later in the night, I'll usually nurse a teaspoon of peanut butter. 2-3 times a week I allow a splurge and have a Yasso frozen yogert bar instead of peanut butter.

I haven't been great about weighing/measuring my food, I know that needs to change, especially as I'm able to add in more types of foods. I'm also still slacking off on exercise. I'm going to try to start that tomorrow. Know what, I'm taking "try" out of that sentence. I'm going to start exercising tomorrow! Once I post this I can't take it back so I'm accountable to more than myself.

Babbled on long enough. ;) Try to keep reminding yourself of where you started and how far you've come. You're doing great!

For example, I have an 1.5 ounce slice of turkey deli meat, 2 oz of green vegetable and maybe 2 oz of cottage cheese. Another meal might be a hard boiled egg and a 1/2 cup of diced peaches. I drink about 1 to 2 premier protein drinks a day. I nurse a couple water bottles throughout the day.

Tex, you're no slouch at this. You are doing great, & the really amazing thing will be when your self-image catches up with your physical truth.

I do have a suggestion for you and for everyone here. The farther you can get away from processed food, the faster you will lose weight. I say this specifically about the deli turkey vs. the baked, real turkey. You know those labels they put on food, advertising the virtues of their food? those are LIES. they don't have to tell the truth anymore, so long as the federally mandated nutritional content label is correct. If you don't like trurkey breast because it's too dry, go ahead & have a thigh or drumstick. Turkey is still the highest protein-to-calories source you'll find. And if you do get the breast, which is the Queen of all Proteins, look up recipes for baby foods & alter the taste & texture until you like it. I also have to say, though you are free to ignore me forever, that protein shakes are a trap. I know your doctor said to drink them & they are almost religiously mandated these days, but the whole drinking-your-meals mindset is why Optifast was such a miserable failure in the 90s, for Oprah & everyone else. Here's a link to an article:

My suggestion to everyone (including myself) is to make a list of the highest protein foods you can make at home. These would be the least adulterated. No Clif bars, no Premier shakes, nothing that someone else made for you to consume without you knowing exactly every single dram of nutritional content.

I know people have their own metabolisms & no two people are alike, but it's hard to argue with food you made & measured with your own two hands. I hope this doesn't sound weird, but I actually stopped going to my local bariatric support group because I was losing so much weight, others felt they were doing it wrong. I went from a 2X to a size 4 pretty quickly. My experience in the round-table meetings was that I'd be listening to the speaker but when I looked around, every pair of eyes I encountered was staring at me. Those of you who've been online mates with me for the last month or two know that I loved exercising & swimming & training for lake & mountain wilderness adventures. I'm sure that helped me. But I felt like a freakish distraction in the support groups because I didn't have any failures to report. And sometimes I wondered if others thought I was some kind of shill, just added to the group as an example of what could be achieved.

I was extremely strict with my diet. I did exactly what the nutritionist told me to do. I hated what I was eating, for the most part but I loved being able to look down & see my feet. During that time, my little brother had a brain bleed & was airlifted to a Seattle hospital from his home in Central Washington. For the next 81 days, in between hikes, I slept in the chair next to his bed when his wife wasn't there, & then sat with her during the day as he went in & out of coma. It's a long, sad story that led to his death. But he was addicted to alcohol & drugs & had a self-destructive streak from the time he was a teenager. I loved him so much, I tried to get my parents to let me adopt him when I was just 20 years old. But as he lay in bed & Viola & I took turns suctioning out his trach tube & putting cool compresses on his head, I felt more than ever that I had made the right choice for my life. I would have loved to have him come with me, but there was no way I was going to go with him. So it didn't matter to me if I was eating cardboard & dryer lint. I was not going to die young. He wasn't ever obese but the food he ate & the booze he drank... oh such bad stuff.

Pay attention to your food. Take the extra step of making sure what you put in your beautiful new sacred vessel of a body is as good as it can be. As soon as you shift your diet a little, you'll kickstart another calorie burn. I know many of my dear new friends here are spiritual people. Remember that your body is only the thing you borrow for a lifetime. Then it's on to a new adventure. While you breathe, be mindful of how grateful you are that you got to live this life. Show that gratitude by having reverence toward those organs you're feeding, and invite the muscles along, too.

How amazing it will be when you reach the new goal you've set for yourself.

But of course, if you make your own choices & take your own time, that's perfect, too.

love to you all...

Hello Diane- That is a lot to think about. Sorry to hear about your brother's sad journey. I don't think I'll give up on my shakes just yet since they are part of the doctor's orders.

Hi Tex - Thank you and congrats right back to you!!! I'm right in your same boat, only down 38.6 lbs from surgery. The 64.2 lb total is adding in my pre-surgery weight loss. I'm sure you lost a good amount prior to surgery as well so remember to add that in, you worked hard to loose it!!!

I think it's natural for most of us to be our own worst enemy when it comes to this battle. A couple weeks in a row I only saw 2 lb losses and was wondering what the hell I was doing wrong. Then this week, my body seemed to catch up and I lost 7. Next time I'm cursing the scale, I'll try to remember that a good week is probably just around the corner.

Your diet sounds perfect & seems like you are getting your protein. I've always been a big water drinker (diet trick from my teens) so fortunately that part is easy to me. I typically do 1 Premier Protein shake in the late morning and then I'm good until dinner. For dinner, I've got two go-to meals since my diet is still pretty restricted:
  • 2 scrambled eggs with salsa and shredded cheddar in them (I hate eggs so I need to mask the flavor and this works well). I make 2 so my plate looks fuller but never finish (probably because of the cheese mixed in).
  • Half of a baked boneless, skinless chicken breast along with a couple tablespoons of green giant broccoli and cheese sauce.
If I'm craving something sweet later in the night, I'll usually nurse a teaspoon of peanut butter. 2-3 times a week I allow a splurge and have a Yasso frozen yogert bar instead of peanut butter.

I haven't been great about weighing/measuring my food, I know that needs to change, especially as I'm able to add in more types of foods. I'm also still slacking off on exercise. I'm going to try to start that tomorrow. Know what, I'm taking "try" out of that sentence. I'm going to start exercising tomorrow! Once I post this I can't take it back so I'm accountable to more than myself.

Babbled on long enough. ;) Try to keep reminding yourself of where you started and how far you've come. You're doing great!
Thanks Brenda for your encouragement. My weight loss DOES include my pre-op loss! You have still topped my efforts at two months!

Thanks Brenda for your encouragement. My weight loss DOES include my pre-op loss! You have still topped my efforts at two months!

Tex, you're no slouch at this. You are doing great, & the really amazing thing will be when your self-image catches up with your physical truth.

I do have a suggestion for you and for everyone here. The farther you can get away from processed food, the faster you will lose weight. I say this specifically about the deli turkey vs. the baked, real turkey. You know those labels they put on food, advertising the virtues of their food? those are LIES. they don't have to tell the truth anymore, so long as the federally mandated nutritional content label is correct. If you don't like trurkey breast because it's too dry, go ahead & have a thigh or drumstick. Turkey is still the highest protein-to-calories source you'll find. And if you do get the breast, which is the Queen of all Proteins, look up recipes for baby foods & alter the taste & texture until you like it. I also have to say, though you are free to ignore me forever, that protein shakes are a trap. I know your doctor said to drink them & they are almost religiously mandated these days, but the whole drinking-your-meals mindset is why Optifast was such a miserable failure in the 90s, for Oprah & everyone else. Here's a link to an article:

My suggestion to everyone (including myself) is to make a list of the highest protein foods you can make at home. These would be the least adulterated. No Clif bars, no Premier shakes, nothing that someone else made for you to consume without you knowing exactly every single dram of nutritional content.

I know people have their own metabolisms & no two people are alike, but it's hard to argue with food you made & measured with your own two hands. I hope this doesn't sound weird, but I actually stopped going to my local bariatric support group because I was losing so much weight, others felt they were doing it wrong. I went from a 2X to a size 4 pretty quickly. My experience in the round-table meetings was that I'd be listening to the speaker but when I looked around, every pair of eyes I encountered was staring at me. Those of you who've been online mates with me for the last month or two know that I loved exercising & swimming & training for lake & mountain wilderness adventures. I'm sure that helped me. But I felt like a freakish distraction in the support groups because I didn't have any failures to report. And sometimes I wondered if others thought I was some kind of shill, just added to the group as an example of what could be achieved.

I was extremely strict with my diet. I did exactly what the nutritionist told me to do. I hated what I was eating, for the most part but I loved being able to look down & see my feet. During that time, my little brother had a brain bleed & was airlifted to a Seattle hospital from his home in Central Washington. For the next 81 days, in between hikes, I slept in the chair next to his bed when his wife wasn't there, & then sat with her during the day as he went in & out of coma. It's a long, sad story that led to his death. But he was addicted to alcohol & drugs & had a self-destructive streak from the time he was a teenager. I loved him so much, I tried to get my parents to let me adopt him when I was just 20 years old. But as he lay in bed & Viola & I took turns suctioning out his trach tube & putting cool compresses on his head, I felt more than ever that I had made the right choice for my life. I would have loved to have him come with me, but there was no way I was going to go with him. So it didn't matter to me if I was eating cardboard & dryer lint. I was not going to die young. He wasn't ever obese but the food he ate & the booze he drank... oh such bad stuff.

Pay attention to your food. Take the extra step of making sure what you put in your beautiful new sacred vessel of a body is as good as it can be. As soon as you shift your diet a little, you'll kickstart another calorie burn. I know many of my dear new friends here are spiritual people. Remember that your body is only the thing you borrow for a lifetime. Then it's on to a new adventure. While you breathe, be mindful of how grateful you are that you got to live this life. Show that gratitude by having reverence toward those organs you're feeding, and invite the muscles along, too.

How amazing it will be when you reach the new goal you've set for yourself.

But of course, if you make your own choices & take your own time, that's perfect, too.

love to you all...

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother Dianne, so sad. I'm a alcoholic in recovery, 3 years sober, so I understand his illness completly. Getting sober was the hardest thing I've ever done, I'm so proud but it also added a layer to my already present food addiction. I gained 40 pounds on top of my already unhealthy weight after rehab, needing to focus on one thing at a time. Another reason I'm so proud of myself for having the strength to be here, ready to fight again for my life and happiness.

Hey Tex - My doctor still wants me doing protein shakes for the time being too. In the first few weeks, I couldn't get used to the taste & texture so I wasn't drinking them and was completely weak. Even fainted a couple times. I finally forced myself to drink them and learned to tolerate them. And surprise, I felt a lot better. So for now, I'm still drinking one everyday.

You're doing great. We're not only dealing with such reduced portion sizes, most of us are also getting used to eating "healthy" foods. I'm ashamed to admit that I lived on fast food. Pizza, subs, burgers & fries... loved them all. I'd only cook one or two healthy dinners per week.

Just keep thinking about what you would have normally eaten today and look at what you're eating instead. Such a huge difference!!! The weight will come off, it has to! :)

Back