• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2+ months out....so empty....searching for something unknown.

Lessthannormal

Surgery date 11/18/14. It's been a month now since I have seen the scale go down. Which is strange...but I have had other issues that might have thrown my body off...so it is not that concerning. What IS concerning to me is the I open the fridge and NOTHING looks good...so I eat something....and if that does not "satisfy" whatever need I have, I try something else. It's like I am looking for saiety and I just can't find it in ANYTHING. I could care less or not really about eating, I am just eating to try and cure that hole inside me! Does this insane stuff make any sense to anyone else?

Next question...how are you getting in 80 grams of protein if you can't drink shakes?

Final question...anyone else unable to take the vitamins cause they make you puke? What are you doing besides the vitamins then?

Surgery date 11/18/14. It's been a month now since I have seen the scale go down. Which is strange...but I have had other issues that might have thrown my body off...so it is not that concerning. What IS concerning to me is the I open the fridge and NOTHING looks good...so I eat something....and if that does not "satisfy" whatever need I have, I try something else. It's like I am looking for saiety and I just can't find it in ANYTHING. I could care less or not really about eating, I am just eating to try and cure that hole inside me! Does this insane stuff make any sense to anyone else?

Next question...how are you getting in 80 grams of protein if you can't drink shakes?

Final question...anyone else unable to take the vitamins cause they make you puke? What are you doing besides the vitamins then?
Lessthannormal, sounds like you need this forum....and though I don't have the answers for you, I've experienced some of the same problems. The "hole" that can't be satisfied did eventually, and I remember thinking it never would. I found that "thicken" (chemical that we use for seniors to thicken their liquids and provide satiety) and powder protein in my drink of milk helps me not feel the hole and provides me with the necessary protein amount for the day so I can focus on other foods. If I'm traveling, I chew on a bit of beef or turkey jerkey so I get the chewing sensation and it satisfies my brain's demand for food.

You don't need a biophysiological lesson so I'll just be brief. When our tummies are empty, they rumble, which is only a signal to the brain that our internal environment is disturbed in some way. When I learned that the rumble is not a sign of hunger, I stopped trying to eat just because my stomach rumbled. The folks in this forum probably have some tips about what helps them fill their own "hole," so hopefully you'll get some ideas to try and find out what ones work for you.

Vitamins---I had my doctor prescribe prenatal vitamins. They didn't make me sick and I enjoyed the taste. I haven't had to take any within the last year because I'm doing well on getting in my nutrients, so I now take children's gummies (and I feel like I'm eating candy)...but you may want to get a prescription change.

Wow you certainly have some issues.

It is so important to get the protein that is required. Since you are saying 80 grams I am assuming you are a male. A female requires 60 grams per day.

I don't know what to tell you about getting all the protein in other than there are so many protein products out there. I would hope that you could find one to your liking.

I like Premier Shakes and Isopure grape flavor to supplement my protein when needed.

I am a year out and at goal and many times I get my protein in without needing the shakes. This will NOT be true for someone just a couple of months post op. So you have to find a protein product that works for you. This is so critical. You don't want to lose more muscle mass than necessary. Even though I always managed to get my 80 grams of protein in each day I still lost plenty of muscle during my weight loss period.

As to vitamins equally important. You simply cannot afford to end up vitamin deficient. Now, I don't know what kind of surgery you had. Was it the gastric bypass, sleeve or lap band. Vitamin and mineral supplementation is an absolute must for those of us that had the gastric bypass and to a lesser amount the other surgeries.

So, please post all your information. When you say that you haven't seen the scale go down, what do you mean? How much have you lost? Do you track your weight? Do you journal your food intake? Do you track your activities, etc., etc.,

For me I need to do all of this to stay accountable and know what works and doesn't work.

I use caloriecount.com. There are many products out there so I would suggest finding one that you like and use it.

Hopefully, you will get better with time; less nausea, puking, etc., I remember initially that I had a hard time getting all the liquid down that we need to consume each day. This is to be expected. In fact, they send you home bloated up with liquid. So, post op 2 days I had gained 7 pounds all extra liquid that the surgeon/hospital injected into me to counter any dehydration issues in the first month.

So talk to us more.

Be patient with yourself.

Join a local support group.

Ralph

Hi ! WELCOME to the Forum!

I think you may be eating out of boredom. You mentioned that nothing looks good so you eat trying to satisfy the hole inside you. I would suggest for you to get a hobby, get a new pet or think what else you can do to take your mind off food... You need to fill up your time with other things you're interested in. Food is fuel for your body, nothing more. You must change your mindset.

Fill out the rest of your profile. We are here for you. We all help each other.

Cheyenne

Back