• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2-week Post Op

Loops

Hello everyone,

I had my two week follow up appointment and I have been released into the soft food stage. Weight is coming off slowly but it's coming off from 305 to 272. I'm recovering a bit better than expected and light work outs are allowed. My surgeon left my sleeve untouched and only did the duodenal switch, so may be why the recovery is going well. I'm excited for what's to come and taking care of me in the top of my priorities. This time around I am more open to telling people of my surgery there is no shame in seeking the tools to help oneself. This isn't the easiest step but I'm happy I did it; I'll keep ya'll posted.

weight.png

Last edited:
Congrats, Loops. I hope you'll keep telling us about your responses to your lifestyle.

I want to say I didn't tell anyone, not because I felt ashamed, but because I knew they'd all say hurtful things to me. Obesity is a problem in my family, and I have five sisters and two brothers, so it would be a machine-gun like assault, super-repetitive, and a lot of stupid shaming behavior. Two of my siblings have died in large part to comorbidities from obesity--mostly diabetes, which seems to run in my family. And my family could be the photo in the encyclopedia next to the definition of obesity.

Keeping it to yourself is perfectly legit. I'd never say a word about anyone having surgery and it's none of my business anyway. I was urged to have surgery by a doctor. Anyone else in my family could have made the same choice. They'd all been told they should lose weight. I even wrote down a two-page essay with recipes for anyone who wanted to change their diets and eat healthy food. No one did. They're all enmeshed in the shame cycle of our upbringing.

Hello everyone,

I had my two week follow up appointment and I have been released into the soft food stage. Weight is coming off slowly but it's coming off from 305 to 272. I'm recovering a bit better than expected and light work outs are allowed. My surgeon left my sleeve untouched and only did the duodenal switch, so may be why the recovery is going well. I'm excited for what's to come and taking care of me in the top of my priorities. This time around I am more open to telling people of my surgery there is no shame in seeking the tools to help oneself. This isn't the easiest step but I'm happy I did it; I'll keep ya'll posted.

weight.png
Yay Loops! Glad you're doing so well. That's great weight loss! I personally have been very open about doing this. That's just me. I'm kind of an open book. I probably express myself too much! LOL

Congrats and I'm glad to hear you're doing well! I also.told everyone. I find it weirdly motivating. I'm not going to let the world watch me fail, knowing they (may) think the only reason I was successful is surgery.

I have had a person who had the sleeve & gained a bunch back tell me "well, yeah but YOUR surgery doesn't allow you to absorb all your calories" So, even if people don't know or they also have had surgery .. Haters gonna hate!

Back