• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 week pre op diet starts this week

Loops

2 weeks and then surgery.....ahhh....getting anxious. I have a couple of cases of protein drinks ready to go as well as unflavored protein to add to crystal light. I main concern is my migraines. Caffeine and Ibuprofen are my go too and the packet recommends none for the upcoming weeks. I did my EKG and blood work and have to see my hematologist due to a Protein S deficiency, which can cause blood clotting issues. Other then that I am ready to go let the count down begin...wish me luck.

Good luck to you! I start my pre-op diet on 3/15. I'm trying to get myself prepared too. I'll watch for more from you to see how things are progressing for you. :) Do you have to go to work during this time? That will be the hardest part for me as I work 10+ hour days and it can be quite stressful- wondering how I'll make it on just 1000 cals for 2 weeks and no ibuprofen. Still plan on having one cup of coffee (1/2 caff) with nothing in it each morning, tho!

Good luck to you! I start my pre-op diet on 3/15. I'm trying to get myself prepared too. I'll watch for more from you to see how things are progressing for you. :) Do you have to go to work during this time? That will be the hardest part for me as I work 10+ hour days and it can be quite stressful- wondering how I'll make it on just 1000 cals for 2 weeks and no ibuprofen. Still plan on having one cup of coffee (1/2 caff) with nothing in it each morning, tho!
Well I did so so for my first day....Caffine withdrawal is real. I tend to skip breakfast so the drink was fine, but cooking my boys lunch had me hungry I ate a protein bar. I was so hungry I ate too fast for the dinner I was allowed. I'll keep you posted.

2 weeks and then surgery.....ahhh....getting anxious. I have a couple of cases of protein drinks ready to go as well as unflavored protein to add to crystal light. I main concern is my migraines. Caffeine and Ibuprofen are my go too and the packet recommends none for the upcoming weeks. I did my EKG and blood work and have to see my hematologist due to a Protein S deficiency, which can cause blood clotting issues. Other then that I am ready to go let the count down begin...wish me luck.
You will do fine, reach out to me, i work for a company that can send you an INR machine for your blood clotting levels so you can test at home.

I was worried about my migraines and not being able to take ibuprofen. Funny thing happened, I have had a migraine since surgery last September. Doctor thinks I was having them due to insulin resistance. So happy I had the surgery, the pre-op diet will go quickly and before you know it, you will be on the other side!

Eye on the prize, ladies! This part really sucks lol You get symptoms for eating less salt, carbs, caffeine etc all while your body thinks you're starving it to death So you're going to hungry and possibly tired and headachy. BUT its only 2 weeks and then your life will be forever changed for the better. Its a pretty great prize.

For those of you who haven't started your pre-op diet yet, a bit of advice. Give up coffee/caffeine a few weeks before hand. My nutritionist pushed and pushed for this. I was really glad she did when I didn't have to deal with those withdrawals on top of everything else.

How have you done? I started my pre op liquid diet the 17th. I also work long days sometimes 10+ hours, I’m a inner city transit bus driver, so I know stress. I’ve been doing ok at work but really not doing much else. I’ve been pooped. I’ve got 2 more days of work then I have off for a month. Sending lots of good vibes your way.

Eye on the prize, ladies! This part really sucks lol You get symptoms for eating less salt, carbs, caffeine etc all while your body thinks you're starving it to death So you're going to hungry and possibly tired and headachy. BUT its only 2 weeks and then your life will be forever changed for the better. Its a pretty great prize.

For those of you who haven't started your pre-op diet yet, a bit of advice. Give up coffee/caffeine a few weeks before hand. My nutritionist pushed and pushed for this. I was really glad she did when I didn't have to deal with those withdrawals on top of everything else.
Thank you thank you!! I never thought about the withdrawal from salt and carbs!! I wasn’t told to give up caffeine until the day before full liquids, so I’m glad I saw this post. I know everyone’s pre surgery diet is different, but I do think it’ll be a good idea. I appreciate your positivity so much!!

How have you done? I started my pre op liquid diet the 17th. I also work long days sometimes 10+ hours, I’m a inner city transit bus driver, so I know stress. I’ve been doing ok at work but really not doing much else. I’ve been pooped. I’ve got 2 more days of work then I have off for a month. Sending lots of good vibes your way.
Thank you, Christy! It’s been a struggle. I’ve learned that I’m very sensitive xylitol and artificial sweeteners, so I had to stop all the sugar free goodies except the shakes. I had hardly ever had sugar fee sodas, gum and other foods to give me an inkling of that. I was feeling pretty pissy for days when I smelled food cooking or restaurant smells around town, but that’s gotten better. ;). Eyes on the prize, baby! Hope you’re doing well! :)

You are going to do great! My first day on the pre-op liquid diet was the hardest day for me, but after that it got easier. Being on the other side of surgery, I’m grateful for that prep time because I feel like it really prepared me for the clear liquid week post-op. I’m almost 3 weeks post-op, and doing great! It feels like forever ago that I was doing my prep, and at the same time it’s gone by in a flash! I’m still a little sore in the abdomen, but honestly I think if I wasn’t a bit sore, I’d probably end up lifting stuff that is too heavy or over-exerting myself. Im so excited for you! Keep us all posted on your progress and in the mean time keep up the great work!

How did it go? Hope all is well!

Wow, that’s amazing! Congratulations! Have you gotten your energy back or are you tired from the limited diet?

I’m still waiting for my surgery date. Do you have anything you could share about what you consumed during the liquid diet phase pre and post surgery? Were there particular brands of shakes you liked? Do you have a flavor-free protein powder that you like?

Any tips you have are much appreciated!

Wow, that’s amazing! Congratulations! Have you gotten your energy back or are you tired from the limited diet?

I’m still waiting for my surgery date. Do you have anything you could share about what you consumed during the liquid diet phase pre and post surgery? Were there particular brands of shakes you liked? Do you have a flavor-free protein powder that you like?

Any tips you have are much appreciated!
I was not a fan of the Isopure flavor free protein powder. I really enjoyed the caramel primer protein shakes in the morning; reminded me of coffee in the early stage. I drank a lot of vegetable broth and chicken and beef broth. It was best if I made beef stew and just drank that; it felt like a real meal. Crystal light helped me a lot plan water is so bland.

Fair life chocolate shakes taste just like chocolate milk. I used (but didn't love) Isopure Infusion powder during the clear liquid phase. Protein2o only has 20 in a 16oz bottle. I could not drink enough to get all my protein with that. So I added an extra scoop to get to 40g per bottle.

I did not find any unflavored protein I liked but I only tried it with warm foods. Broth and such. Protein gets weird and clumpy when heated, so I did not add it to my food. I had better luck buying protein packets of soup, pudding hot cocoa etc. I don't remember the brand but most bariatric vitamin manufacturers sell such packets. This site, fusion, celebrate etc.

Back