• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 weeks after Surgery

Hello All, I am new to the site, just feel like I need to talk to people who are going thru the same thing as me. I had Gastric By-pass 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I had a really hard time with the protein powders and shakes. I got my staples removed and now on pureed foods. I am doing much better but still feel bad. It is very hard to me to do these chewable vitamins. Does anyone have any suggestions on this, also feeling a little down. Please someone talk to me.

It will get better

Hi,

I couldn't drink much in the hospital. Everything was so sweet that I couldn't stand it. I drank mostly water and some broth. Some of the foods you are allowed in those first weeks you just have to eat some and try to drink as much water as you can. It will get better and the surgery was definitely worth it for me. I had one incision that really bothered me, so I took the pain medicine as long as I needed to. It really helped.

Okieatheart

Hi!!! You will feel better soon, it just takes time. Do you like tuna, salmon or flakey fish or eggs? My doctor allowed me to have these foods at 3 wks post op. Maybe yours will too. If youre feeling bad you may need more protein and these kinds of foods should help. Vitamins are something to think about. First I had Centrum that I had to swallow. Too big and it pained me. So then I got chewable Flinstones. Tasted funny but at least I didnt struggle to swallow it. When the bottle was empty I decided to try the Centrum again and I had no problem with it. My sugery was almost 4 months ago. I went to the doctor today and they said Im right on track. Im certainly happy and feeling great but my first couple weeks were a little rough and it took a few weeks to really feel healed from the surgery. Welcome to the Group.. :cool:

Remember your hormones are all over the place after surgery. Things should settle down and you will start to feel better.

Hi all, Centrum makes a liquid, I have been scheduled for gastric bypass on Nov 6. I have been purchasing all the stuff I will need and found the Centrum liquid at Walmart.

I have found it very hard to get my vitamin and iron down... both are chewable but the consistency makes me shudder and gag and of course the iron makes my stomach hurt afterward. I am going to try to find the liquid multi vitamin that was mentioned in another post. Hang in there and be sure to drink plenty of liquids!

I would try to switch to liquids for the vitamins. As for the protein. Unjury makes an unflavored protein powder that you can add to your purees to get the extra protein. I have serious issues with a lot of protein powders but I plan to add this to my broths and purees when time.

Back